A Guide to Inexpensive Music Production for Beginners (mid 2018)

djfrodo

Hi all,

I think I may have posted this in the wrong forum, so here it is again...

So, here's a really, really basic guide for those new to music production who want to do it as inexpensively as possible. It's not a bare bones approach, it's more of a guide to the best things you can get that will last a long time and future proof yourself against "wanting more" (and "GAS").

Enjoy: A Guide to Inexpensive Music Production for Beginners (mid 2018) : musicmakers

I checked it out and skipped through it..

Pretty solid advice in 2018...especially the being pro reaper and mentioning audacity as a slick free editor...
I am a reaper fan, an audacity fan and a SM57 fan...I like both Mac and PC at this juncture they both have their cool things but IOS is winning me over...DAMN IT! :cursing:

Two flies in the ointment..You did not include the price of a digital interface in your $750 total AND ( this is subjective but an informed opinion) you omitted probably one of the finest econo audio interfaces on the market in 2018...The Behringer Uphoria line the 404 HD can be had for less than $100 ...read the reviews on Sweetwater or Guitar center...these little interfaces are the shizzle dizzle....

Me I have graduated to the XR18 and am not looking back INCREDIBLE!

Thanks

I checked it out and skipped through it..

Pretty solid advice in 2018...especially the being pro reaper and mentioning audacity as a slick free editor...
I am a reaper fan, an audacity fan and a SM57 fan...I like both Mac and PC at this juncture they both have their cool things but IOS is winning me over...DAMN IT! :cursing:

Two flies in the ointment..You did not include the price of a digital interface in your $750 total AND ( this is subjective but an informed opinion) you omitted probably one of the finest econo audio interfaces on the market in 2018...The Behringer Uphoria line the 404 HD can be had for less than $100 ...read the reviews on Sweetwater or Guitar center...these little interfaces are the shizzle dizzle....

Me I have graduated to the XR18 and am not looking back INCREDIBLE!

I added the cost of an interface (or not) to the total, thanks - good catch.

As for the the Behringer Uphoria I omitted it due to the phantom power issues - it's either on or off, so it kind of kills the mixing and matching mics that need phatom power and say, a guitar. The first time you want to mix and match and realize you can't you'll instantly want a new interface that can...But I'm sure it's a great little box and the price point is amazing.

Thanks for checking it out.

Phantom power issue? What do you mean? If you switch it on, you can plug in dynamics or condensers, and if you plug in a guitar, no phantom power is available on the jack? Is there some major problem I have missed. The phantom setup seems exactly the same as loads of others interfaces. I've had the phantom turned on permanently on every mixer I have had for ever - plus on my current rack interface, even though phantom is a front panel switch, that's never off.

Phantom power issue? What do you mean? If you switch it on, you can plug in dynamics or condensers, and if you plug in a guitar, no phantom power is available on the jack? Is there some major problem I have missed. The phantom setup seems exactly the same as loads of others interfaces. I've had the phantom turned on permanently on every mixer I have had for ever - plus on my current rack interface, even though phantom is a front panel switch, that's never off.

You are right Rob... DJ is incorrect in that assumption....

You REALLY should include the Uphoria 202 and 404 in your tutorial...they are both fantastic values at $55 and $99 delivered that puts a novice in the game very professionally from the get go..Read the reviews check out a few videos in the low end entry level market IMO they are the best value hands down.... It's not really that big of a step up at $600 (which I've spent more on much less in the audio interface world previously) The XR 18 is a mind blowing 18 channel digital mixer AND interface...I'm just scratching the surface with mine ( and loving it) and have joined a few xr18 user groups...this little box is the Beast..

You are right Rob... DJ is incorrect in that assumption....

You REALLY should include the Uphoria 202 and 404 in your tutorial...they are both fantastic values at $55 and $99 delivered that puts a novice in the game very professionally from the get go..Read the reviews check out a few videos in the low end entry level market IMO they are the best value hands down.... It's not really that big of a step up at $600 (which I've spent more on much less in the audio interface world previously) The XR 18 is a mind blowing 18 channel digital mixer AND interface...I'm just scratching the surface with mine ( and loving it) and have joined a few xr18 user groups...this little box is the Beast..

O.k. it's added. Thanks for checking it out.

yeah, that seems a good article and real advice.
even going cheap its like a grand for the whole thing HR DIY... but I paid $1200 for the first cassette 4 -track so today the same $1200 is 1000 x's more powerful and the editing and plugs is just amazing.

im just guessing a spin-off could be individualized as in

A) Vocal and Acoustic guitar recording
B) Vocal/Rap with Fruity Loops and a SM58
C) ...and now theres a Band....which has the electric guitars and live drums and vocals and keys
D) Heavy Metal...
E) Country....
F) Balladeers and the Piano....
G)....etc.....etc....

for less than (or about) a grand you can have a studio that's a million times more powerful than Abbey Road Studios in the late 60s.
You know... minus the tens of thousands they spent on sound-treating the rooms! :D

Also, no love for Linux recording? Poor, neglected Ardour!

Back