GREMLINS!

James HE

a spoonfull weighs a ton
Damn Gremlins!

Sometimes in Vegas I get these NASTY clips inside the waves. You can hear them, definitly, but you can't see them until you zoom in on the peaks. Usually after I just forget about it, work on something else, reboot, and comeback, they are gone. Very strange. What the hell could this be? It's a definite "cllllllckkkkadkkckdkakc" sound- total distortion, peaks above zero, but you can't see it untill you zoom in, then it just pops up. Then it's gone. hmmmm.... damn gremlins.
The really worrysome thing is that when it happens, I'll delete the file in my project, then open it back in from the original wave file, it redraws the peaks, but it's still there. The only thing that works is too just come back to it later and hope it's gone. And now that I think about it, it's alway been on this one song. I have no clue!
Anyone else have any Gremlins mucking about your harddrives?

-jhe

Gremlins

Logic Audio usually farts and the end of a long take. It will record and playback fine but at the end there is a HUGE CCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHSCREECH sound. all ya gotta do is nodestructively tell it not to play that part.

Vegas.....dunno. used it a little.....heard its not as powerful as Logic. :)

-gen

James HE: be sure that when you're doing a playback or mixdown that only the tracks/effects you think are active actually are. The track pane [pain] sometimes hides stuff really quickly while making room for new mixes or source tracks. Then when you do playback, the extra "hidden" tracks or effects will be sure to clip anything you're working on.

I messed around with it some more, and I realized the the corrupted waveforms would appear only after I zoomed in. After that, they would always be there- until I rebooted. I defragged my audio disk this afternoon and so far no Gremlins! If it keeps hapening, I think I will uninstall and reinstal Vegas, and see if that makes a difference.

-jhe

Back