Good low-end AI?

joey2000

Looking at AIs and if I do get one, it will needn't be anything much - 2 I/Os are plenty, obviously phantom power, about all I can think of that I need. Would need it for basic recording capabilities with my keyboard and a mic. Like to keep costs down........thx

Looking at AIs and if I do get one, it will needn't be anything much - 2 I/Os are plenty, obviously phantom power, about all I can think of that I need. Would need it for basic recording capabilities with my keyboard and a mic. Like to keep costs down........thx

Alesis iO2 . 2 very decent mic pres, 2 line/git ins on separate jacks and switchable mic/line-guitar, arguably a better arrangement than "combi" XLRs? S/PDIF I/O (but I don't think you can run it AND the analogue? Can't have everything for 70quid!) And of course MIDI!

I have only done some basic, SM57 waffle with my second hand sample so far but Bobbsy has the M-Audio clone iirc and has given his a bit of a workout?

Next up for £100 is the Steinberg UR22. The new Behringers also seem pretty good.

Dave.

Thx! Any particular ones to avoid?

Well one hesitates to knock but I have read very little good about the Akai EIE. There are some older AIs that you might find attractive for their price but check in here because some will not have w7/8 drivers.

Dave.

I have AudioBox USB. Super easy and it comes with a great DAW- Studio One 2. All the tracks on my soundcloud (signature) are recorded with it.

I'll second that. Really decent little box for the money.

I had one as well, and my collaborator in CA is using one for vocal tracking. It's a very solid little unit, but I think the Scarlett I have (2i2) has lower latency.

I had one as well, and my collaborator in CA is using one for vocal tracking. It's a very solid little unit, but I think the Scarlett I have (2i2) has lower latency.

In all fairness, the sales rep told me the Scarlett was a little better but that the DAW (studio one 2) is what makes the package a great deal. I haven't had any issues with latency...i think i'm getting about 8-9 ms. I don't notice that one bit.

I don't know how much you're wanting to spend, but the Steinberg UR22 is rock-solid in my opinion. The only reason I upgraded from that is I needed more ins and outs. Otherwise, I loved it.

In all fairness, the sales rep told me the Scarlett was a little better but that the DAW (studio one 2) is what makes the package a great deal. I haven't had any issues with latency...i think i'm getting about 8-9 ms. I don't notice that one bit.

If you need a DAW [as in - don't have ANY daw] then I suppose it's a benefit. I am skeptical anything tossed in for free like that is any good though, compared to fully developed paid products. Even Reaper isn't free. The costs to develop and support a quality piece of software nearly always comes at a price.

That said, for the price the Audiobox makes a compelling case for this particular member's needs:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...rs/what-daw-do-you-use-338301/16/#post4340994

If you need a DAW [as in - don't have ANY daw] then I suppose it's a benefit. I am skeptical anything tossed in for free like that is any good though, compared to fully developed paid products. Even Reaper isn't free. The costs to develop and support a quality piece of software nearly always comes at a price.

The catch is that the DAW is a stripped down version. No mastering option, limited plug-ins, etc... But it's a good starting point until you learn the basics. Just an idea. I was able to upgrade to the full version for $100. Studio One 3 is now out, though I don't know much about it.

Thx again......which Scarlett? The 2i2 is comparably priced to the Audiobox. (EDIT: my bad, the one I was looking at was used...it's a fair chunk more new).

Am browswing here

Audio Interfaces - Interfaces - Recording

and see numerous others even cheaper, wondering if anyone's used and they were satisfied or not-? I'd like to spend as little as possible but still have a quality unit, but doesn't have to be amazing.

No matter which one you get, look at Reaper as your DAW - completely free to download the full version and try it out. $60 to register it.

For $150, I'd be looking at the new tascam US-1200 - 4 mic preamps in it. I'm pretty happy with my tascam US800.

I have an open thread in this subtopic that somewhat relates to this. The consensus is that the difference between interfaces of this level, and input number, are miniscule. I recommended the AudioBox because it also comes with a very good DAW.

And again thx.........though I'm not interested in a DAW so not a factor, and $150/4 pre-amps is a bit of overkill for me. I want to keep it to $100 on down.

Last edited:
Back