good but inexpensive preamp?

Mr. Cachi

Hey guys, I have an Art Dual Pre audio interface, and I´m really not happy with the onboard preamps, they are noisy and doesn´t put out a lot of volume. I saw this Art Tube MP preamp, which has a valve and sounds good for what I´ve heard in youtube demos, has anyone tried it or owns one? Which other preamps would you recommend, that are relatively inexpensive? (I thought about just getting a new audio interface, but its a bit more costly that what I can afford)

https://www.thomann.de/pics/bdb/191529/88236_800.jpg

Most of the new usb audio interfaces have clean inputs with good gain levels. Presonus, Focusrite, Tascam, etc. I couldn't see needing much else unless going very boutique with your sound or using a very high end mic (in which case good and inexpensive wouldn't be in the title of this thread).

For $100-200 USD I don't see you finding a pre amp for less that will do more, so you mind as well think about getting an interface.

**Update -- Okay, well I guess for $40 the price is right...

ART Tube MP Studio Mic Preamp | Musician's Friend

At the price-point you're considering the whole 'valve' thing is basically a gimmick.

What mic(s) are you using that result in the low output? You may be able to fix your issues with some form of in-line cascode amplifier like the FETHead, There are other makes available of course...

The FEThead is pretty cool, but it would only solve the volume issue, while the noise that the Art Dual Pre picks up would still mantain... Im interested in the Art Tube MP since its pretty cheap (I´m in a pretty tight budget), and at least must be better than my interface preamps...

The FEThead is pretty cool, but it would only solve the volume issue, while the noise that the Art Dual Pre picks up would still mantain... Im interested in the Art Tube MP since its pretty cheap (I´m in a pretty tight budget), and at least must be better than my interface preamps...
Two things-
"the noise that the Art Dual Pre picks up would still mantain" What does that mean? Are your tracks always noisy? Or just when you have to have the gain high? And.. are you sure you're keeping separate preamp noise vs room/background noise?

And "at least must be better than my interface pres" .. Based on what really?

IDK, it's fairly trivial to make a really competent preamps these days. Sounds like a sideways' move to me.
Not to mention if 'cost and 'quality' are related or mean anything, why would you pick one where, idk 25% of it gets dumped into this faux' tube 'add on?

I have the Art Tube MP preamp and it works well for me. If you can get by with only pre it will do the job. Plenty of gain and has a built in limiter that might be useful on certain things.

I general the terms "good" and "inexpensive" are mutually exclusive in pre-amps. Generally, the best good and inexpensive pre-amps are the ones in any reputable audio interface. Especially if you want a pre amp cheaper than an interface, I urge caution.

It might be useful to know what mic you're using, what you're recording and how the mic is placed--and what you consider a low level.

Depending on your answers, something like a Cloudlifter might be one solution--or it might be better to just save up a month or two and buy a different interface.

Funny, when I read inexpensive in the title I was thinking under $500?

You could get the ART then later do the Burr Brown Mods when you have a little cash?

Alan.

I got an ART Tube MP early on in my home recording. I hated it from the get-go. It's a very dark and muddy sounding preamp. Makes a pretty good bass DI, but that's just about it.

I haven't looked, but does Behringer make a stand-alone preamp with their kind-of-newly-acuired Midas preamps? I was really taken with those preamps when I tried one of their U-Phoria interfaces, and now I have an ADA-8200 with 8 of those preamps. Really solid little pres, especially for being dirt cheap.

I general the terms "good" and "inexpensive" are mutually exclusive in pre-amps.
Well no, but...
Generally, the best good and inexpensive pre-amps are the ones in any reputable audio interface.
Yes.

Good clean quiet preamps are actually pretty cheap and easy. The tech is not new. The hard part is the power supply and then the packaging. Most decent interfaces have preamps as linear and with as much dynamic range as any others. Most mixers, too. Unfortunately, if you try to buy JUST the preamps in ones or twos A) it still needs the same good power supply, and 2) it's basically a specialty item in today's market and will be priced accordingly.

I got a Nady PRA-8 for about $100, and it does everything a preamp should and nothing it shouldn't. Well...except that the gain knobs go all the way down to silence, which is not something I ever want them to do.

The best low cost pre-amp is the Studio Projects VTB-1. These used to be very cheap, but then the word got out via Sound On Sound Magazine and the street price went up LOL. However there is a healthy second hand market around so you may get close to the US$100 - US$120 bracket.

I have 4 of these in the rack and I like the sound of them.

Alan.

I'll second Alan's recommendation on the VTB-1. I've had one for a while and it's pretty good for the money.

Back