Golden Age Project: The Pre-73 Mark 3 preamp vs. the PreQ 73.

The PreQ of course has EQ goodies built in there, but the Mark 3 has a few goodies which the previous Pre73 versions did not have, boosts, filters and switches and stuff. I would appreciate it if someone who understands these things better than I - which would include just about everyone in Western Civilization - would tell me whether or not the EQ controls of the PreQ are seriously better than those in the Mark 3. I don't mind the price difference, but the Mark 3 has some new features which are attractive, and there might be some small trade-offs between the two.

Thanks very much.

GoldenAge Project – PreQ-73
GoldenAge Project – PRE-73 MKIII

My only comment is that the PREQ-73 seems to be discontinued, or at least not for sale at any online places I shop (Amazon is not in that list, FWIW). I think they dropped it in favor of the Jr at the lower price point.

I did notice that the PRE-73 with Carnhill transformer "upgrade" is actually priced only $20 more than the regular model at Sweetwater. Don't know if that's a clearance or temporary price drop, but interesting.

I really believe the only way to evaluate these kinds pieces of equipment, assuming you can't just buy one of each and have them around to use when appropriate, like having a $50k mic locker at your disposal, is to get a couple and try them to see whether they do what you want, i.e., try your different mics on different voices/instruments, with a lot of settings, and record in your own space, then normalize and try to "blind test" listen to them. Plan to spend some time!

Back