gina 20 vs. gina 24

tj jr.

I have a soundblaster live and i want to get a new sound card. I read that some people think the 24 bit vs the 16 bit doesnt matter and I also read that it does, it just depends on who your talking to. I definetaly want a new card, but the gina 24 is like almost 400.00 and the gina 20 is about 100 to 150.00. Would it make sence to go ahead and get the gina 20 bit. ? will it sound good even though its not 24 bit? any info would be great.
thanks in advance,
tj

24 bit vs. 16 bit is a big deal...very big...

but the Gina 20 bit is a very fine card......

I had a Gina 20 bit card, and liked it very much. No problems at all. I then upgraded to a Layla 20 bit for just a couple hundred bucks used. It gets a little warm, but I leave it on just about all the time, and it has been working great for over a year now. Be aware, the 20 bit cards are NOT compatible with the 24 bit cards, should you want to add another card (rather than just upgrading to a single card with more I/O's). Oh....and even though you ask about the Gina...I must say about my Layla...I like the "older" versions better because it has 10 outputs VS only 8 on the newer ones...plus the SPDIF, of course. I'd have no fears in buying *your* Gina, in the price range you mentioned.

By the way...for fear of spamming....check out these songs....all recorded with Echo 20 bit products.

-----> http://www.mp3.com/theupperroom

From what i gather the difference between the older Event/Echo products that were 20bit vs the newer 24bit range is minimal. Not really so much that 24bit makes no difference but more the fact that the 20bit sound from the old cards was considered to be so good. On a lesser card you may notice the difference but practically all the Echo cards, old and new, are quality products with a good sound.

For the huge price difference I really don't think you could go wrong with the 20bit version. (I assume that it is just old stock and in good condition and not second hand).

Back