Getting started - How and what do I need?

MarcH

Hello

I'm looking into building a small home studio for practicing and a bit of recording (mostly for fun). My situation is that I live in an apartment and I'm going to sell my amplifiers and move towards a digital solution with an interface + software. I'm a guitar + bass player so it will mostly be used for that.

So far I've looked at maybe getting a Focusrite interface (I've heard lots of good stuff about them). There's a used Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 up for sale here where I live. Would that be an alright interface?
For software I'm considering going with Reaper since it's "free" (and a license is fairly cheap). Also I've previously used Amplitube and Guitar Rig but I stumbled upon the Bias software by Positive Grid which looks extremely cool!

Also I would need a pair of headphones - What would be a good set of head phones? I mainly lean towards a classic metal sound (Marshall'ish) but now and then I like to use modern hi gain metal sounds (5150, Rectifier etc) So I would need a pair of headphone that would sound good for that.

If I'm successful in selling my amps my budget would probably be around $250-300 dollars. The used 2i2 is priced at $75 but I could probably negotiate a bit here. A new one is about $140 so double the price. Then comes the headphones and software (Bias - $99 ?)

Also I should mention that I'm considering using my 2010 Macbook Pro for this. It's upgraded with 8GB ram and an SSD so it should work fine.. Also OS X to me seems a bit easier for this kind of stuff than Windows. I do have a Windows 8.1 PC at my disposal though.

What would you suggest?

Thanks

If you like the sound(s) fromyour amps, don't sell them - but I'm guessing that if you can only get under $300 total, they are solid-state and probably not "keepers" anyway. The 2i2 is OK, but offers no MIDI input/through, but it appears you won't need that.
Plenty of headphones around for under $100, and the kind of music you play doesn't make a big difference- headphone ear fatigue sets in after a couple of hours no matter what you use.

Headphones...what MJB said. Amps...what MJB said. Interface...what MJB said.

When it comes to Bias just make sure that you keep up to date on that bit of software. I was talking to my sweetwater rep about bias a few months ago and he told me to wait because it was still quite buggy. That may not be the case any more but I would suggest that you do some research before you pull the trigger on that one. Amplitube is at least a solid piece of software and it gives you the option of downloading the custom shop plugin for free and buying the amps that you want/need as you see fit without having to pay big money for the full program/amp packs. With that being said, don't count Waves GTR out for sim software. They run it on sale every now and then for $99 and it has some good sounds in it, too, as far as modeling is concerned.

If you like the sound(s) fromyour amps, don't sell them - but I'm guessing that if you can only get under $300 total, they are solid-state and probably not "keepers" anyway. The 2i2 is OK, but offers no MIDI input/through, but it appears you won't need that.
Plenty of headphones around for under $100, and the kind of music you play doesn't make a big difference- headphone ear fatigue sets in after a couple of hours no matter what you use.

Thanks for your answer. It's not that I don't like the sound it's just not a possible solution for me anymore. You mention MIDI, what can it be used for?

Headphones...what MJB said. Amps...what MJB said. Interface...what MJB said.

When it comes to Bias just make sure that you keep up to date on that bit of software. I was talking to my sweetwater rep about bias a few months ago and he told me to wait because it was still quite buggy. That may not be the case any more but I would suggest that you do some research before you pull the trigger on that one. Amplitube is at least a solid piece of software and it gives you the option of downloading the custom shop plugin for free and buying the amps that you want/need as you see fit without having to pay big money for the full program/amp packs. With that being said, don't count Waves GTR out for sim software. They run it on sale every now and then for $99 and it has some good sounds in it, too, as far as modeling is concerned.

Thanks from videos and reviews I've seen people usually don't say anything bad about Bias but then again if they get the software for free for review purpose the truth is often misleading.

"I'm a guitar + bass player so it will mostly be used for that."

In that case MarcH do have a look at the new stuff at Guitar Amplifiers, Valve Guitar Amps, Guitar Pedals, from Blackstar Amplification

I already own a Blackstar HT5R and it's the one I'm planning to get rid off. A valve amp just doesn't work for my place.. I could play through headphones tho but for the moment right now I'm shifting more towards a software solution with more sounds + effects than keeping the amp.
Dave.

Also it would be nice to if you could come up with some specific suggestions. If the 2i2 isn't the right direction to go then what should I consider then? Also looking for headphone suggestions.

https://www.blackstaramps.com/products/id-core-beam/
That ^ is a recording system in its own right.

Then the HT-5 has an emulated output and could be used for "silent" recording into an AI. You could get a very low power load box with a line level take off and record the amplifier's speaker signal....

The 2i2 is certainly the right DIRECTION to go, I just think that particular interface is poor value. You mentioned MIDI? Well, call me old fashioned but I would rather have MIDI I/O on an interface than a pretty light show!

The Alesis iO2 is much better value and (wtgr) more than good enough quality for guitar/bass work. Better and you get Cubase, is the Steinberg UR22 and everyone here knows my top reccy is the Native Instruments KA6.

You can downloads the user manuals for almost all AIs (and for the few you can't don't bother with!) study them. Also read up a bit about MIDI, it is a very powerful system and, although you might not need it now, it makes sense to me to get an AI so equipped? Especially as it costs you nowt! (well, a few LEDs).

Dave.

MIDI can be used for quite a few different things; you can set up a controller via MIDI connections that can give you hands on knobs and faders for controlling tracks or you could get a keyboard and record MIDI note data to control a VSTi synth or piano (or drums, etc...).

Keep in mind, even though it could be useful to have the standard MIDI connections in your interface, a lot of controllers plug directly to your computer via USB, too.

"Keep in mind, even though it could be useful to have the standard MIDI connections in your interface, a lot of controllers plug directly to your computer via USB, too."

A point commonly made ^ but the fact is such USB MIDI devices are rarely MIDI interfaces and almost never have a MIDI input.

Dave.

https://www.blackstaramps.com/products/id-core-beam/
That ^ is a recording system in its own right.

Then the HT-5 has an emulated output and could be used for "silent" recording into an AI. You could get a very low power load box with a line level take off and record the amplifier's speaker signal....

The 2i2 is certainly the right DIRECTION to go, I just think that particular interface is poor value. You mentioned MIDI? Well, call me old fashioned but I would rather have MIDI I/O on an interface than a pretty light show!

The Alesis iO2 is much better value and (wtgr) more than good enough quality for guitar/bass work. Better and you get Cubase, is the Steinberg UR22 and everyone here knows my top reccy is the Native Instruments KA6.

You can downloads the user manuals for almost all AIs (and for the few you can't don't bother with!) study them. Also read up a bit about MIDI, it is a very powerful system and, although you might not need it now, it makes sense to me to get an AI so equipped? Especially as it costs you nowt! (well, a few LEDs).

Dave.

Just looked up the Steinberg UR22. It looks great and it's around the same price range as the 2i2.. Also they seem to update their software and drivers a bit more often?

Back