Getting a new computer

m2k1

This will JUST be for home recording. Any suggestions? Macs are supposed to be the best for audio and video stuff, right? I'd probrably be doing some video stuff on it too.

I have a mac G5 and havent had a problem yet. there is an occasional freeze up using protools 6.4 le, but nothing else. I only use itunes and protools on the computer..

if you have an extra 3,000 to spend.

you should probably juice yours up with some more harddrive space too.

i'm a pc guy myself... if you go the pc route throw money into: Processor (+3ghz), lots of ram 1 gig, and a fast (7200+rpm), spacious (100gig+) hard disk.

you'll be recording and having fun for a long time.

also, think about a decent set of codecs (input/output) source for your pc. there are many many many discussions on here about that (delta, emu, digidesign, etc...).

these damn computers are like cars, you can put as much money as you possibly can muster into them.

g

Got a question:

When we're recording, we want each mic that we set up to record on it's own track. So each guitar amp would be on its own track, and each drum mic would be on its own track. If we run all the mics through the mixer into a soundcard, would this be possible, or would we have to buy a multi-input sound card and just run the mics straight into that?

elevate said:

Is this possible with any multi track program, or just certain ones? So the computer should be able to recognize the different mics seperately through the mixer, like we want then, right?

I know I'm a noob, but maybe you can explain it all a little more indepth?

m2k1 said:
Is this possible with any multi track program, or just certain ones? So the computer should be able to recognize the different mics seperately through the mixer, like we want then, right?

I know I'm a noob, but maybe you can explain it all a little more indepth?
Most record more than one track at once. The only exception I can think of is Acid. Your computer doesn't "recognize" the mics, it recognizes the inputs of your soundcard.

Basically, in whatever program you're using, you arm a track for recording and select which input it should use.

elevate said:
Most record more than one track at once. The only exception I can think of is Acid. Your computer doesn't "recognize" the mics, it recognizes the inputs of your soundcard.

Basically, in whatever program you're using, you arm a track for recording and select which input it should use.

I want to be able to record to multiple tracks at the same time. That's why I thought I'd need a soundcard with mutiple inputs. So if the computer recognizes the inputs on the soundcard as seperate mics (or whatever), then wouldn't I need a multi-input soundcard? Or does the computer recognize the inputs on the mixer as soundcard inputs?

Just to claify, I want to record each individual mic on a different track, all at the same time, so I can individually edit each track after I'm done recording.

m2k1 said:
wouldn't I need a multi-input soundcard? Or does the computer recognize the inputs on the mixer as soundcard inputs?
The computer doesn't know or care if you have a mixer. All it knows or cares about is your soundcard. If you want X number of tracks recordable at once, then you're going to need a soundcard with X inputs.

elevate said:
The computer doesn't know or care if you have a mixer. All it knows or cares about is your soundcard. If you want X number of tracks recordable at once, then you're going to need a soundcard with X inputs.

Ok that answers my question then. Thanks, and sorry if my questions were annoying.

M2K1...

U need to look at interfaces I think as opposed to just soundcards. Interfaces will be ur mixing board per se, that will allow u to have isolated tracks recorded on ur CPU.

The soundcards available for multi-track simulatneous recording is limited I think. U may want to go with a Firewire or USB interface that allows 10ins/10outs etc..

I am doing home recording so I only need a few in/outs so a soundcard would be more adequate for me.

BTW I'm a noob too just learning all of this shit...it's hella crazy.

JMLeez808 said:
M2K1...

U need to look at interfaces I think as opposed to just soundcards. Interfaces will be ur mixing board per se, that will allow u to have isolated tracks recorded on ur CPU.

The soundcards available for multi-track simulatneous recording is limited I think. U may want to go with a Firewire or USB interface that allows 10ins/10outs etc..

I am doing home recording so I only need a few in/outs so a soundcard would be more adequate for me.

BTW I'm a noob too just learning all of this shit...it's hella crazy.

Firepod looks nice. I apologize to the first guy who mentioned it for not checking it out sooner. I may get a couple of those.

My setup:

Part Number: M8850LL/A
Product Name: AppleCare Protection Plan for Power Mac (w/ or w/o Display)
Unit Price: $249.00
Quantity: 1
Net Price: $249.00
Estimated time to ship: Same business day

Part Number: M9177LL/A
Product Name: Apple Cinema Display (20" flat panel)
Unit Price: $799.00
Quantity: 2
Net Price: $1,598.00
Estimated time to ship: 1-2 business days

Part Number: Z0BM
Product Name: Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7GHz
Options:
065-5747 Dual 2.7GHz PowerPC G5
065-5701 1GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x512
065-5710 400GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
065-5537 16x SuperDrive double-layer (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
065-5539 ATI Radeon 9650 w/256MB DDR SDRAM
065-5531 Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English
065-5543 Mac OS X - U.S. English
065-5457 Final Cut Express HD preinstalled
065-5529 Accessory kit
Unit Price: $3,598.00
Quantity: 1
Net Price: $3,598.00
Estimated time to ship: 3-5 business days

SUBTOTAL: $5,445.00

How's this look for a setup for the audio/video stuff I want to do? Anything I need to upgrade?

m2k1 said:
My setup:

Product Name: Apple Cinema Display (20" flat panel)
Quantity: 2

Product Name: Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7GHz
065-5747 Dual 2.7GHz PowerPC G5
065-5701 1GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x512
065-5710 400GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
065-5537 16x SuperDrive double-layer (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

How's this look for a setup for the audio/video stuff I want to do? Anything I need to upgrade?

That's pretty close to my setup. I've got a Dual 2.0 GHz, two 15" panels, 1.5G RAM, 250GB hard drive (but about two terabytes of external storage floating around the house), and a single-layer superdrive, though once I have an OS that supports the dual-layer drives, I might swap it with the dual from my server box.

My biggest suggestion is throw in more RAM. Mac OS X loves to use spare RAM for disk caching. RAM is cheap. Bump it up to 2 gigs. And of course, you'll want some kind of sound hardware, but that goes without saying.

I strongly recommend either PCI or FireWire. USB audio has never lived up to its promises from what I've read on various discussion boards... pops and clicks, weird dropouts, timing problems....

If you get something PCI, make sure it has outboard converters. I have a Delta 1010LT in mine, and while I'm not able to hear the electrical noise in the recorded content, there's a lot of high frequency video-card–related digital noise that bleeds into the output during playback. I think it's leaking through the power supply rails, since it also shows up in the computer's built-in audio outputs... but I'm not 100% certain about that. One of these days, I might disassemble the computer's power supply and add some bigger chokes and/or filter caps to fix the problem, but it isn't exactly high on my priority list....

That said, if I knew six months before I got my G5 (when I bought the 1010LT) that A. I was going to regret having the DACs inside the machine, and B. M-Audio was going to charge me money for them to take a dremel and notch their PCI connector correctly to fit the slot in the G5 (don't get me started on that rant...), I would have A. waited 6 months, and B. coughed up the extra money to buy the full Delta 1010....

You've got $5,500 to blow on a computer? Wow, I wish I had that kind of money... :D More power to ya.

My roommate has a Dual 2.5 G5 running Pro Tools LE w/002R, and the thing runs like a dream. Only 1 gig of RAM, too. Works great (certainly better than my brand new PC with Windows XP and 512MB RAM).

Are you really bent on getting the dual cinema displays? They're flippin' sweet for sure, but they do cost $800 a piece ... Thought about maybe getting a couple 'lesser' LCD flatscreens instead? You would be able to get a couple of those for about half the price. It wont be quite as pretty, but I always think of it this way: that's another $800 to spend on audio gear!

I think you're right to go with a Mac, especially if you have the money for it. I run on a PC and everytime I use my roommate's G5 I wish I had gone that way instead. My next computer purchase will more than likely be a Mac. You can get faster components in a PC for cheaper, to be sure, but OSX just beats the pants off of Windows XP in terms of stability and freedom from malware, etc., plus SP2 isn't quite fully supported yet by all the major audio hardware/software vendors.

... But I digress.

Your config looks fine ... more than fine, actually.

I don't suppose you're in college? Apple has pretty good discounts for students, so if you are, check it out...

dgatwood said:
That's pretty close to my setup. I've got a Dual 2.0 GHz, two 15" panels, 1.5G RAM, 250GB hard drive (but about two terabytes of external storage floating around the house), and a single-layer superdrive, though once I have an OS that supports the dual-layer drives, I might swap it with the dual from my server box.

My biggest suggestion is throw in more RAM. Mac OS X loves to use spare RAM for disk caching. RAM is cheap. Bump it up to 2 gigs. And of course, you'll want some kind of sound hardware, but that goes without saying.

I strongly recommend either PCI or FireWire. USB audio has never lived up to its promises from what I've read on various discussion boards... pops and clicks, weird dropouts, timing problems....

If you get something PCI, make sure it has outboard converters. I have a Delta 1010LT in mine, and while I'm not able to hear the electrical noise in the recorded content, there's a lot of high frequency video-card–related digital noise that bleeds into the output during playback. I think it's leaking through the power supply rails, since it also shows up in the computer's built-in audio outputs... but I'm not 100% certain about that. One of these days, I might disassemble the computer's power supply and add some bigger chokes and/or filter caps to fix the problem, but it isn't exactly high on my priority list....

That said, if I knew six months before I got my G5 (when I bought the 1010LT) that A. I was going to regret having the DACs inside the machine, and B. M-Audio was going to charge me money for them to take a dremel and notch their PCI connector correctly to fit the slot in the G5 (don't get me started on that rant...), I would have A. waited 6 months, and B. coughed up the extra money to buy the full Delta 1010....

Thanks for all the good advice. As far as the Firewire support, I planned on getting that, but I didn't see any options for it other than this text under the Display Options drop down:

"Apple's flat panel, liquid crystal displays feature an anodized aluminum enclosure, FireWire and USB 2.0 ports and an industry standard DVI connector for a direct pure-digital connection to the aluminum Power Mac and PowerBook systems."

EDIT: Boy, do I feel stupid. The Firewire/USB statement was in reference to the hardware, not the options for the Mac. Yeah I plan on using a Firepod.

Last edited:
m2k1 said:
Cool, I'll do that. Thanks for the tip.
If you go to Dell's site, go into each section - Home, Small Business, and Enterprise and check the price in each of those locations. Prices sometimes vary as a particular section may be having a special while others are not. I think right now, the Home section is where those LCDs are cheapest.

Back