Getting New Centrino Duo Laptop - Need Audio Interface Advice

psneddon

Hi,

I'm getting a new Acer Travelmate 8202 (1.6 Dual Core Centrino, 1GB Mem, 100GB HD). I'm looking to use the laptop for doing my audio work with Sonar 5.

The audio interfaces I'm looking at are the USB2 Marian UCON CX and the Firewire M-Audio 410. Does anyone have experience with either of these products? The Marian looks very nice and full featured but I cant find any reviews, where as the M-Audio is well know and widely used.

I've seen a few older reviews of the M-Audio where they mention driver problems (blue screens and such), are these issues now resolved?

Paul

So your comparing an $800 (Marian) and a $200 (410) product. If your budget truly is up around the $800 mark, then I would go for either a Presonus Firepod (I own one as well) or a Mackie 400F. You might also check out the MOTU Stuff like the 828mkII, Traveler, and the 896HD. With the Marian, it being USB (even though it's 2.0), I still have a hard time trusting the latencies and such. I would go Firewire, just to be on the safe side.

Hi,

In the UK the price difference between the 2 products is not as large as it seems to be in the US :( I was looking at the Firepod but it looked liked a rackmount unit? I was looking for a more portable solution. It does look very nice though.

Paul

psneddon said:
Hi,

In the UK the price difference between the 2 products is not as large as it seems to be in the US :( I was looking at the Firepod but it looked liked a rackmount unit? I was looking for a more portable solution. It does look very nice though.

Paul

Check out the Presonus Firebox. It's the 'mini' version of the Firepod. Very nice little unit.

Back