Getting cassettes to MP3??

Dustin

Hey all, a friend of mine recently recorded some tracks onto cassette tapes, and we want to get them to a CD. My idea was to hook the cassette player up to the computer, then rip the tracks to WAV, then burn to a CD. Is this possible, can anyone recommend software that can handle creating large WAV files? I also wanted to convert them to MP3 to distribute on the net. Any suggestions or ideas, I basically just need to convert his tape into a CD.

Thanks,
Dustin

Yup, that's pretty much the idea. There are a zillion .WAV editors in the cold dark night, but I'd recomment Cool Edit - it's fairly easy to use, and it's got some nice features to it. Make SURE you get a good recording level into the computer. If it's too quiet or too loud, it'll sound like trash. Most WAV editors have input meters, so make sure you use them.

Just for the record, the process of RIPPING refers to converting one digital format to another. You're recording analog do digital, so it's pretty much just called "recording". (I'm such an anal prick)

Back