Getting analog to the computer...

rweiss

I've always thought about the best way to do this, but am rather lost. I was planning on buying some nice preamps and outboard gear in the near future. How exactly would I get the output from the preamp (particularly the RNP) into the computer? ...I *think* I need an A/D converter, but have never really researched this. Right now I'm using a Firepod but wish to move on. I'd eventually like to be able to control everything on the computer and still have a nice chain. - So, are there multiple ways of getting analog audio onto the computer? What are my options?

Furthermore, is this what most higher-end home studio enthusiasts do? Analog to an AD/DA converter into the computer then to outboard gear back into the computer? ...Or do they record down to an external Hard-disk recorder?

Thanks.

Last edited:
The Firepod is your AD/DA converter.

If you wanna put a mic and a preamp in front of the Firepod that shouldn't be a problem. Just be sure you switch the input to line rather than mic.

To patch in an RNP, select on of the channels designated "mic/line", switch to line-level input, set your levels in the RNP, and rock out.

There's a lot of ways to do FX. Some guys use software exclusively, others do as you wrote, laying down a dry track, then running it out to a reverb or delay or whatever, and printing that new FX'd track onto a fresh track in your recording sw.

Ok, cool - so just take the output of any other preamps I would use, put them into the line-insert in the back of the Firepod (bypassing the pod's preamps) - then I'm set. How are the a/d converters on the firepod? ...Would I be better off researching some nicer a/d conversion or focus more on preamps and instrumentation?

I've never used a Firepod, but they seem pretty popular and folks seem happy with how they work.

I'd stick with the Firepod until you get to the point you need it to do something it can't do.

Preamps, mics, instruments, all that stuff is just a one-way ticket to upgrade hell!!! :D

Reactions: apl
Back