GERMAN SOFTWARE (MIDI etc...)

pisces7378

Hello all, FOr those that have not read anything that I have posted, I am an American citizen living in Munich Germany. I will be living here for a few more years and then returning to America. Anyway, I was always in a "group" of one kind or another in America. And now I find myself alone here. However my desire for making music is even stronger than before. First I tried with all my might to do everything alone without software. I was on this website everyday asking everyone, "What should I buy for a drum machine, I need a synthesizer, I need a sequencer, a Hard disc Multi-tracker etc... And EVERYONE sent me the same reply..."Got a computer?" I HATED computers. Really HATED!!!! And now after being dazzled in a few music stores and given enough information, I have decided to make the plung into the computer method of home recording. But now I have a few technical questions before I make some really dumb mistakes. As I said, I live in Germany, with my girlfriend, and she attends the University in Munich here. Well she wants to buy a computer for herself. BUT and her is where most of you might laugh. We HAVE to buy a lap-top, because she will move to America with me and she can't take a whole computer. And she needs to be able to take it to class with her and it HAS to be portable for many reasons. Anyway, I went to the biggest music store in Munich and they said, that a Lap-Top WILL WORK, but I will probably have to buy many additional things to make it work. Here is my plan and you guys just tell me if it works...........

I want to buy the Roland JV-1010 Synth
A MIDI master-keyboard.
A Lap-Top Computer.
And Logic Audio Platinum Software
The "Drum & Bass" extention board for the JV-1010

This will tide me over until I can afford a Hard Disc Multi-tracker. I want the Roland VS 1880. Or maybe the Yamaha AW 4416. Anyway, I haven't bought a Lap-Top yet so I need you guys to tell me WHAT DOES A COMPUTER IDIOT LIKE ME NEED TO LOOK FOR IN A LAP-TOP THAT CAN HANDLE THIS SOFTWARE AND ALL THAT I NEED. The guys at the music store said that i will need some new sound card. Ok, which sound card is the best for the money? I will also (I think that is waht he said) need some kind of external extention that allows me to plug my MIDI keyboard into the Lap-Top. What was he talking about? Just tell me what EXACTLY I will need in a lap-top. Pentium III or will a Pent. II work ok? Is 340mHz enough or do I need 500mHz? How big of a hard drive do I need? What else will I need to make it all work? Just please play out the scenario in you guy's head and then tell me what YOU would buy in a computer store. Also tell me if this VERY EXPENSIVE $600 software is a waste. I want the BEST. It surely seemed to be the best in the world. But I am new. Just take me by the hand and guide me towards musical Nirvana. PLEASE.

Thanks guys,
Mike

forget the laptop, NO FORGET IT.
there, now you can start all fresh.
if you want the best, you gotta have cash. which you don't:). so you wont get the best.

life is easy sometimes, isn't it? now that you've realized you wont get the best, what will you get? well, what do you need?

think about this. the laptop could work intheory but probably wont in practice. read ALL the messages about pc configuration and find out why.

Now, have you read any other messages? those contain ALL and more of what you need.

ola said it before: read and then ask SPECIFIC questions.

i forgot this: why are you thinking about buying a hd recorder? that's your computer! and to bobsleigh:
yes there almost the same but there so damn small! and almost isn't good enough anyway.

greetz guhlenn

[Edited by guhlenn on 12-18-2000 at 07:15]

Here's my one cent:

Don't know much about laptops, but I guess the specs won't be that different from a normal PC. You'd like a lot of RAM, at least 128 megabytes. You can get away with a pentium II 340, sure. The P3 will give you a lower lag between pressing the keyboard and the sound being registered in the computer, though.

What I'd do? I'd put off buying the synth, adding the money to the computer hardware and a spiffy sound card. Some have on-board MIDI which is just as good as an external synth. I think there's one called Yamaha SX-1000 or something like that. Worth checking out. The supreme PC would eliminate the need for a HD recorder, too. What can it possibly do that a PC can't? :-)

- Sub

More Specific

Thank you BOBSLEIGH,
YOU wrote me a very HELPFUL and CALM response. You know it really is discouraging. For every 4 people that say it is all completely possible with a lap-top, there is one that says it isn't. And that I am a fool. Usually in a kind of childish, "you idiot" playground, scoffing manor. Anyway, I will be a bit more specific with my question. I have read the section on choosing computer hardware, on this website. However I am not very computer literate as far as what is IN one. I am sorry for this sin of the next Mellinium, and I would love to corect this horrible error by taking some computer classes or reading some books etc... But unfortunatly I have found myself living in Munich Germany and have no such access to these possibilities. So I am asking you guys....

Bobsleigh:
- You said that I need 128 MB of RAM, but the Dragon says
64. I realize that 128 is better, but can 64 work?

- You also said that a Pent. II might not be so good, but
the Dragon says it is fine. Again, obviously the III
would be better, but does the II work?

- Also, there are some things that the Dragon mentions
that confuses me. He mentions a Synthesizor/MIDI card.
What is that?

- What is a Plewwriter 4/12 CD-R? Please explain to me
what it is and if it is necessary.

- The Dragon also mentions SEVERAL cards. Including the
Yamaha Y724, and the AARK 20/20+. I realize that I will
have to buy a sound card. But which one and can I add
it to a lap-top? I have seen my brother with the tower
of his computer all apart before. Lap-tops don't have
that. Is it external?

- How do I plug in My MIDI Synth and Master-Keyboard. I
have the Roland JV 1010. And a master keyboard. How do
I make them work with the Lap-top?

- I am looking at Logic Audio Platinum for a software
program. Everyone talks about Cakewalk here. This
Logic Audio Plat. program looks like a dream come true.
It is a bit expensive at around $610, but it looks like
it will do ANYTHING that I can throw at it.

- Ever heard of it? And is it better or worse than
CakeWalk?

- How much does Cakewalk Audio 9 Cost?

I sure hope you guys can help me. I am stranded here in Germany with no one to ask but you guys. Oh yeah and the reason I keep talking about a Lap-top is because I HAVE to buy a lap-top. Space and portability are the most important thing here. Trust me, I know how insane it sounds to spend so much money on a lap-top. But that is how it has to be for me. So please don't make fun of me for it. I wish I could pay you guys for technical counciling so that I wouldn't feel so dumb. Anyway, do what you can. I appreciate anything and everything.

Sincerly,
Mike

Just a note on laptops:
They can be completely cool for music making. Obviously you have to realise that you are not going to get as good performance as a desktop of the same config but it should do fine. I did a laptop recording test about a year ago for Computer Music Mag using the UA100, WamiBox, VX Pocket and SonicPort - all performed well and essentially gave me a working 16 audio track studio with effects an stuff. Hit a brinck wall at 24 tracks - probably due to the hard drive speed. I used a generic p2/400 laptop - nothing special but also not packed full of rubbish.

You can get more info on these products through my web site:
http://www.pc-music.com - under "hardware - laptops"

Being in Germany i would have imagined that Cubase would be king. Cakewalk/Logic/Cubase all do similar things, quick imho summary:
Cakewalk - cheapest, easiest, guitar orientated, least powerful
Cubase - easy, powerful, dance orientated, messy
Logic - harder, powerful, good for everything, more expensive (although try looking at Logic Gold as that does almost as much as Platinum but for less cash), the best.

I hope this is useful to you
Robin
http://www.pc-music.com

you are a spoiled brat;)

pisces7378 said:
Thank you BOBSLEIGH,
However I am not very computer literate as far as what is IN one. I am sorry for this sin of the next Mellinium, and I would love to corect this horrible error by taking some computer classes or reading some books etc... But unfortunatly I have found myself living in Munich Germany and have no such access to these possibilities.

access my ass... the net has shitloads of knowledge for all of us...
http://www.dis.unimelb.edu.au/mm/hwtute/index.htm

Bobsleigh:
- You said that I need 128 MB of RAM, but the Dragon says
64. I realize that 128 is better, but can 64 work?

The more the resources you have, the more capacity you'll have. How many tracks do you wanna be able to track at once? and how many total? Its just you, right? so probly not more than 2 or 3 tracks at a time... but up to how many total? You comp needs to be able to hold open and play as many tracks as you want it to... and thats all about RAM. If I have 1 23/48 track... thats, say, 4 minutes long. the thruput is, like, 200k/s so it pulls .2MB per second across you RAM.( if MY memory serves...;)) On paper, you can thus yank 320 tracks across, right? NOT SO. you need a buffer of say, 8 seconds (thats what I use, at least), so suddenly we're pulling up to a full MB at any given second, per track. Double that for plug-ins, and were looking at pulling 3 or 4 MB per second per track. That gives you maybe 16 tracks on 64MBs, IF everything else is FULLY OPTIMIZED, which it wont be, cuz you dont know how do do it yet. DO you want a 16 track cap? if so, 64MB is fine.

- You also said that a Pent. II might not be so good, but
the Dragon says it is fine. Again, obviously the III
would be better, but does the II work?
The II works. The III is faster.

- Also, there are some things that the Dragon mentions
that confuses me. He mentions a Synthesizor/MIDI card.
What is that?
A normal SOUND CARD cant play and SOUND when it hears a MIDI message... no synths. A SYNTH/MIDI card HAS some synth sounds on it, so it CAN play a sound when it hears a MIDI message.....

- What is a Plewwriter 4/12 CD-R? Please explain to me
what it is and if it is necessary.
Do they have search engines in Germany?:)
http://www.plextor.com/english/products/products.html

- The Dragon also mentions SEVERAL cards. Including the
Yamaha Y724, and the AARK 20/20+. I realize that I will
have to buy a sound card. But which one and can I add
it to a lap-top? I have seen my brother with the tower
of his computer all apart before. Lap-tops don't have
that. Is it external?

Id look for a USB interface.. Or PCMIA.. like these
http://www.tracertek.com/u24.htm
http://www.tascam.com/products/us428/index.cfm

and if youre in to 20-bit..this thing looks neat. Ive never heard of it, though.
http://www.tracertek.com/usb_studio.htm

- How do I plug in My MIDI Synth and Master-Keyboard. I
have the Roland JV 1010. And a master keyboard. How do
I make them work with the Lap-top?
http://www.midiman.com/midiman.htm

- I am looking at Logic Audio Platinum for a software
program. Everyone talks about Cakewalk here. This
Logic Audio Plat. program looks like a dream come true.
It is a bit expensive at around $610, but it looks like
it will do ANYTHING that I can throw at it.
- Ever heard of it? And is it better or worse than
CakeWalk?
I dont use cakewalk.
Ive heard great thnigs about Logic.
Nuendo is $1200.

- How much does Cakewalk Audio 9 Cost?

Cake walk Pro Audio 9... $429.00
http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/PA/PA9.html

Hope that all helps.
xoxox

if you think i was treating you as a child -> no certainly not. i was a little harsh though, sorry bout that maybe i should apologise but had you read any previous post when you asked the question? now you see why i don't think a laptop will work and some do. it's all a matter of opinion.

you just posted like 'i want the best gear there is'...'can i use a laptop'. NO YOU CAN'T. cause it's not the best. and sound cards will probably fit but if you want to add something you 'll probably have no room left. and if you want the best this isn't the place. go to digidesign.com and spend $100K. and many think that if you do that you still wont have the best gear. so sorry if i offended you i just think that if you know almost nothing about the topics here our answers wont help you cause you'll still be lost figuring out what they mean.

greetz guhlenn:)

I've been using my laptop with quite a bit of success. I have a Gateway PII 400 128megs ram, built in CDburner. The real trick is to use the md-3 docking station. It gives you a PCI card slot so you can run just about any recording card. I have the delta 1010. Just think, you can do all your tracking. Then hed over to starbucks for some coffee and sit at a table with headphones and do some mixdowns. Then burn them to cd while your sitting there. Then, on your way home you can listen to your mixes on your car stereo.
Do they have Starbucks in Germany?

Well,

Almost everyone here thinks mixing with headphones doesn't work. (it could work though, i wouldn't know). And portability is a BIG pre. but than you lose a lot on flexibilty of the system.

GODDAMN THAT WERE ALOT OF -LITY WORDS!!!!

sometimes i amaze myself;)

greetz guhlenn

PC not LAp-Top THANKS GUYS

Hey guys,
Thanks a million for the advice. And everyone is so knowledgeable. I can remember when computers were only for games and simple programs and modems were the dtuff of Hollywood Movies about breaking into the ARMY’s computer and starting WW III etc... Anyway, I would like to respond to everyone’s repeted suggestion that I just jump on the internet to find all this information. You guys have to believe me when I say that under normal cercumstances I would do just that. But as I said, I am living in Munich Germany now, and working for Renault Auto’s (French Car Company that was available in the US a million years ago, but very common in Europe. I have no access to the internet here. The company is full of assholes and for some reason unknown to humans with logical brains, the internet is “not to be used AT ALL for any reason in the office.” We send ofice e-mails etc.. through a special program and cell phones. Yeah, these french idiots talk from one room to the other on cell phones. All with little head sets so that they can recline back in their leather chairs and feel important. Anyway, even though the whole building is networked to the internet and EVERY office in the building is equiped with the latest edition of Windows and Internet Explorer, we can’t use it. How would they know? They are on some kind of strange buddy system. Have you all heard the term, “Taddle-Tail.” They are all kindergarten “I’m going to tell the teacher” type people. So if anyone walked in here and saw me reading about thsi stuff then I would be in trouble. I am only 22 years old (almost 23 <smile>), and am already considered quite a “hot-shot” for being the youngest guy to have “come so far.” And I think they would love to watch the “American guy” get the can. They even position the desks so that the computer screens face the windows and our backs are to the window, so anyone walking by can see our screens. Anyway, how I post and read sites on this thing is, I turn it on really fast, copy the thread I am reading, then turn the internet off and paste the messages into Microsoft Word. Then I read. Then I write back in MS Word, then again quickly, turn on homerecording.com and post the pre-writen thread. Childish I know, but I really need this to happen. And even though I have “come so far” as I mentioned earlier, I am like one of those high school athletes that managed to slip through the cracks and never learn to read. Well, I managed University, and several jobs that were “computer oriented” without ever learning a single thing about how the insides work. I know all about the net, and the diffrent office type programs. But don’t know a sound card from a playing card. And now am in no position to find out.
In other words, I do not blame you guys for thinking I am a dud. And if you don’t want to answer these millions of questions, then what can I do? So I just ask and ask and ask, and keep trying, and it just so happens that you guys have been GREAT. I am still a baby, but I have learned more in these last 2 weeks about computers and music on them than ever before. Now to get to the questions.
First of all, I have decided that the notebook idea is a dud as well. I spoke with my girlfriend last night and convinced her that a regular PC is far and away better and cheaper. NOW.... What EXACTLY do need to look for in a PC. Here is what I think and you guys tell me if I am in the ball park...
I need:
- 400-800mHz
- At least a Pentium II, but I will get a Pent. III
- At least 64 MB RAM, but I am looking for 128 (right?)
- At least 10 GB Hard Drive
- 72000 rpm (don’t know what “rpm” means except in a
car. “rev. per. min.”

Then I get lost. I can’t look up what a “Plexwriter 4/12 CD-R” is. I don’t know the diffrence between a “Yamaha Y724 Sound Card” and an “Aark 20/20+ Sound Card.” I don’t know if the sound card(s) is all I will need to make my MIDI synth and master-keybd work. I think I do need audio capabilities. In fact I know it.
I want to:
- Use AT (Audio Tech) 4033 microphone to record several
vocal tracks per song. Well maybe 2 or 3.
- Also, I am a guitar player so I need to play at least 3
guitar parts per song.
- I wanted to use the Drum and Bass Sounds from the my
Roland JV-1010 synth, to pre-program the bass lines note
for note. And the Drum parts. And then add any
orchestral sounds I want.
- Then record that to a hard disc recorder like the Roland
VS 1880. And lay down my guitar tracks and vocals. But
if a computer can do all that without the hard disc
recorder, PLEASE TELL ME!!!!! and tell me if it is more
expensive and if I would be better off just buying the
hard disc recorder. Keep in mind I will go back to
America in a year and a half and want to record my band.
Without MIDI at all. Well actually forget that. Just
treat the situation as if I wanted to become the next
MOBY. (Only a joke). But actually not a bad guide-line
as far as teh technology I need is concerned.
- Plus I wanted to do a lot with “meditation type”
technoesque, electronica, and any other adjective to
describe music produced without traditional instruments.
- I want to be able to burn CD’s immediatly. The Yamaha AW
44116 bosts a built in CD burner. You can buy a PC with
one. Are they EXPENSIVE AS HELL?

- MY BUDGET FOR THIS COMPUTER IS: $1,500-$2,000

I have no idea is you guys just said, “Oh ok, then you will be fine.” Or if you all rolled out onto the floor laughing at the “idiot that thinks a couple of grand can buy him a complete MIDI /Audio work station.” But I have no idea if all this is possible. My girlfriend are planning on going shopping for this computer the day after Christmas, and I need you guys (that is if you are gracious enough to humor me and help me) to fill my head FULL of what I need EXACTLY. Also, the music stores here all have sound cards and other computer parts too. Would it be better and cheaper to buy the sound cards from a proper computer store, or from the sleeze ball at the music stores? Or do most computer stores even stock things like this? Anyway, this is enough for now, I guess.
Again, thanks a million guys. I’d love to hear some of you guys music. If your music is a good as your advice then, I am sure it is incredible. Take it easy.

Mike

well alrighty then, i'll do the work for ya (only cause i hate french!;))

well, at least some. first off: a computer is a harddiskrecorder, better yet it's a more flexibel to maybe even pro hd rec. so forget about the roland. or forget about the computer, make the choice anyway.

now soundcard: if you have lots of money: buy the motu 2408mkII-> it's expensive, but one of the best affordables.
it costs around $1000-1200. that 'll give ya practically everything you need. (plus it's expandable to more then you'll need)
Haven't got money? ok that's wre you'll really just have to search and compare.

take the best computer you can find (PIII850MHz 256 MB you right about the 7200rpm (i don't know the meaning either)

mic's need a preamp-> got a mixer? no? -> mackie 1604VLZpro is a good choice.

monitors-> get good one's -> yorkville YSM-1

this set up 'll cost ya, but i would like to have one too(if i only had the money)! but you really should find a way to get on the web and search GODDAMNIT f**k those frenchies!

ah well,

hope i've been some kinda help.

greetz guhlenn:)

i just wanted to add that this isn't my own knowledge, it's all stolen from here somewhere! (isn't that the fact with all knowledge? hmmm....;))

Maan that job sounds like hell. Ever hear of the East German Intelligence unit STASI? Sounds a bit like that.

Your budget is just fine, but remember that without the proper software, the computer is worthless. Good software costs a lot. Start out with a couple of the low-end titles and work your way up.

Here's a suggestion to a computer setup that won't cost the world, and work just fine:

- A PIII 500.
- Minimum 20 GB hard drive for your sound files, and a smaller drive (about 5 GB) for Windows, etc.
- A cd rom
- I still say 128 MB of RAM. Makes things less likely to crash. The price difference should't be all that compared to 64.
- A cd burner (no, they don't cost all that much. You can get one in Germany for about 100$, i guess). Almost any kind will do, as long as it's a major brand.
- A sound blaster Live sound card. Will let you plug in your synth through an adapter (10$), and has a line in jack for your mixer.
- A small mixer. I know the pros hate Behringer, but they're dead cheap in Germany and will give you mic preamps. I use the mx802, minimal in size, about 130$. Plug it right into the soundblaster, and connect mic's, guitars and whatnot to the mixer.
- A pair of decent headphones for recording vocals.

Your budget should just about cover all of the above.

Then, for the software. As a minimum, you'll need a multitrack recording program, and a sound editor.

Further, let's bring this computer recording stuff way down to earth.

All you pro's out there bear with me.

- There are basically two ways of recording sound on a computer. One is MIDI, the other is .wav-files. The latter is just sound waves converted to digital data - what you'll get when you plug your mixer into the line in of your sound card and press "Record" in the software.

- A wav file can represent one track in your multitrack composition, for example your guitar part. A multitrack recording program, (the most common being Cakewalk, Cubase, Cool Edit or Logic) will let you lay down one track at a time, and hear the already recorded tracks as you add another track. Since you're all alone, that's what you'll want to do.

- You can also lay down MIDI tracks in these programs. Basically, anything your synth can play, the program can record.

- The wav files can be imported into a sound editor, which will visualize the sound graphically for you. (a strip of peaks and lows) In there, you can do pretty much everytnig with the sound. If it's too low, boost the volume. Add effects like delay and reverb. Cut it in half. Add silence. EQ. Whatever. Common wave editors are Wavelab and Sound Forge.

- A very nice beginners program for making any kind of electronic music is Sonic Foundry ACID. It can work as both a loop editor, sequencer and multitrack recorder. N-track is another affordable, powerful multitracker.

- The complete song is mixed down to a wav file, burnt onto a cd, and then you can just stuff it in any cd player and listen.

The computer eliminates the need for a HD recorder altogether. If you want an external recording device to record your songs into, buy a minidisc.

Hope this was some help - but bear in mind this is not PRO gear or anything. At least it will get you started.

Feel free to email me any other down-to-earth questions at bobsleig@yahoo.com

Good shopping!

- Bobsleigh

i guess it all depends on what you think is good enough for you.

sorry, i got a little carried away there cuz you stated you wanted the BEST (this time it isn't meant ironical;))

i live in the netherlands so know all of the european vs USA problems when it comes to buying gear. the dollar vs euro is a bitch for those living in europe. i could talk all day bout that but you'd have a word file that would be so large it would f**k up your hd...:)\\

greetz guhlenn

Logic Audio

Pisces,

I am a Logic user from way back (before it even had an audio component and was just a midi sequencer) and I can wholeheartedly recommend Logic Audio to you as your midi/audio sequencing solution. It does have a learning curve, but nowadays, I think it's as easy to use as Cubase/Performer, etc. The Platinum version comes with lots of effects and audio tweaking goodies that make it incredibly powerful and downright fun to use. If it makes your decision any easier, here's one big thumbs up for LAP.

7200 rpm????

Hey guys, I have had a bunch of people tell me that they didn't know what the hell rpm's means on a hard drive. Well what does it mean? Is it standard or do I have to search for one? The reason I ask, is because I am buying a PC soon and I want to make it into a full MIDI/Audio Mork Station. I don't want to look for 4,000 GB Hard Drive if it isn't the right rpm's for music. The Dragon says 7200, tell me what that is.
Also, a few have told me that I should consider getting a seperate hard drive for my Windows programs etc... Is that true or only over cautious? What I mean is, obviously it would be better, but is it necessary and what are the things I shoudl consider when deciding that? Also, so many of you have been so helpful and I just wanted to let everyone know that I have found a computer and I will write the spec's for this computer and you guys tell me if I should go with it or keep looking. Here are the spec's:
It is the Fujitsu/Siemens PC Scaleo P800
Pentium III
800 MHz
128 MB SD-RAM (what is the diffrence between SD and normal
RAM?)
20 GB Hard Drive (no idea about the rpm's)
32 MB 3D AGP Grafics
56K V.90 Modem
3.5" Diskette
16 Bit Sound
Win 98
MS Word 2000
Ms Work 2000
MS Money
MS Encarta Worldatlas
MS Money
MS Games
MS Picture it
17" monitor

The Reason I mentioned all the software is to ask if that will be a problem for making my MIDI/Audio software (Logic Audio Platinum or Gold) work? This computer costs exactly 2,998 German Marks. Which is $1387 US dollars. And 943.81 Pounds (for our English guys). Is this a good price. I know that Siemens is the diamond of Germany being as it is on every corner. There is not much electronic equipment and Cell phones (Mobile phones again for our British guys) that are NOT made by Siemens. Anyway, I know I will have to buy some new things to make it all compatable with my Roland JV1010 Synth. But is it a good computer for the price and most importantly, WILL IT WORK??? And will it work PERFECTLY. I want the best without breaking $2,000 for the COMPUTER. I know I will pay out the ass for the other stuff. And again about the hard drive. Should I get a small little baby hard drive to store the Windows MS shit? Or will the one that comes with it be ok?

Thanks Guys,
Mike

PS. I am sure that this question has already been asked and asnwered, and I apologize for the repetition. I have to ask dumb questions as I am in a idiotic position with this job and being in Munich Germany. Thanks for everyons patience and wisdom.

Oh Yeah I almost forgot

Oh Yeah,
Since I am buying this computer in Germany, naturally it will have the European 220V. Power configuration. How difficult is it to convert that to American 110V when I come home? I am planning on taking the damn tower in my carry on luggage when I come home. VERY carefully!!! The Monitor I will just sell or abandon. But what about the power supply? Expensive shit, or $25 adaptor from Radio Shack?

Thanks
Mike

That's a good computer for the money.

RPM means something like "rounds per minute", which tells you how fast your hard drive is able to transmit data. I'm quite sure your siemens comes with a 5400 rpm hard drive. That will work. With a computer as fast as that, I doubt you could tell the difference if you had a 7200.

It's got a 32 mb graphics card, which is nice 'cause that'll take an even bigger load off the computer "brain", the 800 mhz CPU.

Keep as much of the MS shit away from your hard drive as you can. If you install it just to try it out, don't leave it on there to clutter up your workspace later.

You'll want to replace your sound card. check out how muh they want for installing a Soundblaster Live, which will at least give you good sound quality until you can afford something more flashy and professional. And don't let them fool you into buying the "platinum" version just because you're gonna use it for music. Other versions is the EXACT same sound card, apart from a dumb MIDI/jack-bax that comes with the platinum. Not worth the 100$ price difference. In my opinion, the sound card isn't what makes a world of difference in the sound quality in a true HOME studio. There's too many other sources of noise.

(A digression: There seem to be a lot of real studio techs and professionals on this bbs, even though it's called homerecording.com. Which is great, as they're a bottomless well of audio knowledge. But they tend to demand hardware standards that are a bit off the mark for HOME recorders. Keep in mind that even the crappiest of sound cards will store audio in higher quality than the cassette deck you fooled around with ten years ago.)

The separate hard drive is definitely not a must. But since you can pick one up for about 50$, why not?

Also, if you find a cd burner on sale someplace else, don't be afraid to buy it and install it yourself. Believe me, it as easy as Earth girls.

Some towers come with a 220/110 converter switch on the back. check for one of those. a new tower won't set you back more than 50$ when you get home.

- bobsleigh

you should definbatly be able to buy a great computer for $2k. you can partition the harddisk so that you use like 1 gig for windows and 19 for audio. and yes trhow away any software you don't NEED. be careful with that 3d card. some 3d cards actually take more CPU power, instead of giving more. ask some expert about that.

oh and bobsleigh, it's the speed alright and rounds per minute seemed to me too the most logical, but then it's probably some other crazy word.

greetz guhlenn

WIndows????

Hey guys, can any of you tell me which windows version I should get on the PC that I will buy next week? I have heard that 2000 and NT are shitty for music programs. Is this true or what? Anyone got some advice?

Thanks guys,
Mike

Back