General petty/stupid question thread

cellardweller

So here it is, i'll never need to start another thread in here again :rolleyes:

The General/petty/stupid question thread

Here's my first installment:
What purpose does the little "backup" battery on the mobo serve?

-AND-

Where do you find your motherboard identified? I can not find it in any online documentation (I'm at work right now)?

C'mon guys, heap your stoopid questions here!

Ummm...

Are we allowed to answer any of them or is this just a 'Questions Only' type of thing?

:confused:

(P.S. That was my entry)

:D

The battery supplies power to your BIOS chip. Which is a ROM chip that is one of the first steps in the boot process.

Your MOBO should have ID on it somewhere.

scottboyher said:
The battery supplies power to your BIOS chip. Which is a ROM chip that is one of the first steps in the boot process.

Wrong answer.

If it was a ROM chip, you wouldn't need to supply it with voltage with the backup battery when the computer is off. Read Only Memory keeps it's state permanently.

It is a CMOS (Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor) chip which is more like RAM (Random Access Memory)

CMOS Defined:

A part of the motherboard that maintains system variables in static RAM. It also supplies a real-time clock that keeps track of the date, day and time. CMOS Setup is typically accessible by entering a specific sequence of keystrokes during the POST at system start-up.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&oi=defmore&q=define:CMOS

The backup battery also powers the clock chip on every motherboard which keeps timing for the CPU (hence why CPUs are rated by MHz/GHz - speed at which it processes information). The secondary function of the clock chip is to keep track of Time (as in 6:05 PM, January 31, 2005)

...also keeps the time/date accurate, ever unplug your machine for a extended period of time, then plug it in and the time is still accutrate? The battery ensures that.

ocnor said:
What should you do if you see an endangered animal eating an endangered plant?
Have a dangerous salad with your bar-b-que.
I'm a member of P.E.T.A.
People for the
Eating of
Tasty
Animals.

Track Rat said:
I'm a member of P.E.T.A.
People for the
Eating of
Tasty
Animals.

FLMAO................................ :D

Track Rat said:
I'm a member of P.E.T.A.
People for the
Eating of
Tasty
Animals.
What type of wine goes with endangered bar-b-que red or white?

what does ceiling tile taste like?

So, was there a concensus (yea, right! :rolleyes: ) on the exact purpose of the backup batter? Is it necessary for CMOS to retain its' memory?

cellardweller said:
what does ceiling tile taste like?

Dude, it tastes terrible.(I've cut and installed a bunch, so have eaten my share.) Drywall tastes about the same. Now paint, that's a different story.

Ed

brzilian said:
Wrong answer.

If it was a ROM chip, you wouldn't need to supply it with voltage with the backup battery when the computer is off. Read Only Memory keeps it's state permanently.

It is a CMOS (Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor) chip which is more like RAM (Random Access Memory)

CMOS Defined:

A part of the motherboard that maintains system variables in static RAM. It also supplies a real-time clock that keeps track of the date, day and time. CMOS Setup is typically accessible by entering a specific sequence of keystrokes during the POST at system start-up.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&oi=defmore&q=define:CMOS

The backup battery also powers the clock chip on every motherboard which keeps timing for the CPU (hence why CPUs are rated by MHz/GHz - speed at which it processes information). The secondary function of the clock chip is to keep track of Time (as in 6:05 PM, January 31, 2005)

WRONG! It is DDR RAM.

Back