Future recording studio.

This is an idea that ive had for a couple weeks, i want to know what your ideas of a future recording studio will be like?

In my opinion, it will be based on a computer. I think there will be one cord going into the back of the computer, from a box with 20 inputs. 16 xlr(if thats even still around) and 4 1/4 inch.

there will be pres built in, and you change the setting right on the comp. you can download patches and such.

it wil have guitar amp modeling and everything, thats just my idea, whats yours?

All in one units like some of the Rolands, Yamaha's etc have the "computer" built in.
I think those units are getting more appealing all the time and they have the potential to expand even more. The big thing with me and doing everything on a computer is the need for CPU power and how so many sequencers like Sonar use the CPU power in your computer for plugin processing. This is where I like the Pro Tools approach with using DSP technology but it's not all in one contained box like a Roland 2480 which unlike Pro Tools you do not need a computer. Not trying to compare them here. I would like to see more extensive use of DSP in the stand alone units where if you want to integrate it with a remote sequencer you could use the stand alones DSP power to run your sequencers plugins. But this all comes at a cost and is one of the reasons Pro Tools is not cheap.

Have you been looking at some of the new control surface products? Things are getting interesting. But Pro Tools has been doing this for some time. I guess if you look at this from a DSP perspective Pro Tools is pretty damn nice! Other companies know that and the new generation control surfaces are one answer. Think of what you could add to a control surafce and what will probably be added in the coming years.

BTW, have you seen this?

http://sound-on-sound2.infopop.net/...94090574&m=9913013657&r=9913013657#9913013657

tom18222 said:
In my opinion, it will be based on a computer.

In what form? The computer as you know it will disappear.

from a box with 20 inputs. 16 xlr(if thats even still around) and 4 1/4 inch.

That's pretty limmited.

Sounds like your thinking there's going to be some committee that will put out a standard of what a studio will adhere to.

How far in the future are we talking about here.

Back