Is This the Future?

Bobbsy

Boring Old Git
Have a look at the new LINE 6 MIXER for both live and recording applications. No faders, very few knobs and a touch screen control surface more like a video game than audio hardware.

Or, how about this BEHRINGER/iPAD MIXER that has conventional faders and knobs but uses a slotted-in iPad for all its processing.

Or this MACKIE PROTOTYPE where the "box" just has inputs, mic pres and outputs with ALL the mixing done on an iPad, either slotted into the unit or via wifi walking around a venue.

I'm not convinced by any of them. However, I've often thought that we were only at an early stage of digital mixing, with hardware imitating analogue designs that have existed for 50 years or so. At least all these ideas are thinking outside the box.

As a traditionalist I doubt this old dog will ever want to give up my faders and knobs--but I think we're in for an interesting ride over the next few years!

I'm not sure if any of those are actually on the market yet...quite often they just show prototypes at shows like NAMM.

To me the thought behind those if the idea that EVERYONE will have an iPad.
Personally I don't want one and I can't be the only person that doesn't.
I'd rather have the porcessing built in to the unit.

Nonetheless ............. pretty damned cool and my G.A.S. is activated by them.

And Digitech has a guitar pedal board out and for sale right now.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...ulti-effects-pedalboard-with-ipad-integration

It's 500 bucks street price so with an iPad added to the cost we're looking at a grand for a pedalboard. I'd much rather have $1000 worth of boutique stompboxes .....

I posted the same links on another forum aimed more at live sound. Several people there have questioned the wisdom of a piece of gear tied to one specific type of tablet computer--what happens when Apple change the physical design of the iPad like they did between the iPhone 3 and 4? You have to buy a new mixer.

(BTW, I'm like you with no desire for an iPad--if for no reason than I touch type and want a real keyboard in front of me.)

However, the basic idea of being able to control things via wifi is good--I've been using a conventional PC that way for some years to control Yamaha digital mixers so I can walk the room during sound check. During a show, though, I want to have more control than a touch screen will give.

All that aside, it's interesting to see some new ideas for the user interface coming out!

I saw the Digitech pedalboard the other day on MF. 5 years ago, I wouldn't have recognized that as a legitimate rig. After playing with a few key players that use laptops in their rigs, I have to say it's got potential, and might even have it's place in the scheme of things...though it certainly wouldn't be my first choice. And Bobbsy's right...once they change design, it's a matter of time until you're forced to upgrade...or you scrounge until that version of iPad is no longer available.

I'm with Lt. Bob. Let me use that cash toward some nicer pedals.

I posted the same links on another forum aimed more at live sound. Several people there have questioned the wisdom of a piece of gear tied to one specific type of tablet computer--what happens when Apple change the physical design of the iPad like they did between the iPhone 3 and 4? You have to buy a new mixer.

(BTW, I'm like you with no desire for an iPad--if for no reason than I touch type and want a real keyboard in front of me.)

However, the basic idea of being able to control things via wifi is good--I've been using a conventional PC that way for some years to control Yamaha digital mixers so I can walk the room during sound check. During a show, though, I want to have more control than a touch screen will give.

All that aside, it's interesting to see some new ideas for the user interface coming out!

Same here Bob. I thought it the coolest thing when they first came out to be able to walk a room - or an arena - with a tablet to tweak your mix with out having to run all of the way back to FOH make the adjustment then head back to the nosebleed seats to see how it has been affected.

IDK I think I will wait till the dust clears on this stuff to be sure that all of the bugs have been worked out first etc. But if the price is right new toys are always best!! ;)

The idea of a remote interface for your sound booth is pretty cool, but linking it to a specific, expensive piece of third-party a hardware DOES sound like a bad idea.

I'd be more inclined to get one of those things if it either came with its own tablet or used a much more generic system (i.e. the hardware is just a receiver, and you get an app that's compatible with all the major smart phone/tablet systems.)

You've just described what I can do with most Yamaha digital mixers being controlled via Studio Manager from any hardware that can interface!

As for the Line 6 I linked to in my first post, I've just found THIS on a UK supplier site selling pre orders for the mixer for £1999. I guess this would be around $3000 if the US price is a direct conversion but I bet it's more in the $2000-$2500 range knowing how pricing usually works.

Back