Full Duplex Soundcards

daled

Stupid question - how do I know whether my soundcard is full duplex or not? Is there any test or properties screen or anything other than actually trying to record w/ it? Im not exactly sure what kind of card it is because it came w/ the CPU and Im kinda broke so I cant afford an uprgrade right now so Im hoping that this will be useful for now...

Well, if it's full duplex you will be able to record some digital audio at the same time as playing back some digital audio.

To find out what you have........

Go to start/settings/control panel/system/hardware devices
Click on the hardware folder
click on the + on audio,video, gaming folder

Find out what kind of card you have then do a web search for the manufacturer............

Some cards claim to be full duplex but, in reality, they are not.
They have a hard-drive cache to create a sorta psuedo duplex effect.
It will not work with most recording programs though........
Unless you have a huge cache and a shit-load of RAM but, then again, it is the wrong way to go about recording on a computer.

i dont know of any easier test than recording one track, and trying to overdub...

Thanks guys... Ill give this a shot when I get home to my own CPU (im on holiday location ).... I've got a HP Athlon 1.3, 40gig, 384mbRAM BUT I don't know what kind of soundcard there is in it. Does anyone know what kind of soundcards usually come in factory HP's?

The type of "soundcard" that usually comes with an HP, is whatever chipset is cheapest at the moment. There's a 99% chance that it's a hunk of shit and that it's integrated onto the motherboard. After you try it and it sucks, I'd suggest finding out how to disable the onboard sound, and getting yourself a decent soundcard.

Sorry to be harsh, but that's the way it goes with the big brands.

To answer your question though, you can get a good idea of the chipset on your mobo by going into device manager and looking under "sound and multimedia". You will probably find ESXXXX (ESS, which is garbage) or CSXXXX (Crystal, equally garbage). Since it's integrated, your only source of information is HP, since they "build" proprietary motherboards. There is a 99.99999% chance that the soundcard is full duplex.

Slackmaster 2000

if its a fairly new HP, it is full duplex and is a hunk of shit....but enuff of a hunk of shit to get started on until you get better.....

Back