full duplex com for collaboration over internet?

dadio917

Wasn't sure where to put this query so apologies if its in the wrong place.

would love to play with pals over the internet but com like Skype and facetime are single duplex.

Was wondering if there are any tools out there to do this?
thanks

I am sure there is plenty of such software but (and I stand to be corrected!) I just cannot see it being useful?

I have just done a speedtest (Ookla) and get a "ping" of 34mSecs. Sometimes it is better but never lower than 20mSecs. I just don't see how anyone can jam with that kind of latency?

Oh! And that was just a few clicks down the road at Milton Keynes from NN5 5guess!

Dave.

It's a tough road ahead my friend, not easy to do.

Zencastr for ease of use. Or Reaper with a builtin plugin called Reaninjam.

Ooo! My son (guitar& vocals) has Reaper in Le Harve France and I am sure he would like to jam with his band mates just up the coast in Etretat! I shall email him toute-suite and tell him.

Dave.

I have just done a speedtest (Ookla) and get a "ping" of 34mSecs. Sometimes it is better but never lower than 20mSecs. I just don't see how anyone can jam with that kind of latency?

From a technical point of view this is exactly what I see as well. Unless you can create software that knows what you're going to play before playing it and sends it 40ms ahead of time. Almost any form of network communication is going to have lag/latency. If musicians complain about 15ms latency with their VST loaded DAW, then i don't see 40ms over the web being an improvement/acceptable. And that's assuming the lag from your internet connection stays relatively unchanged. 20-40ms is considered good, but it can frequently go higher than that depending on local factors.

From a technical point of view this is exactly what I see as well. Unless you can create software that knows what you're going to play before playing it and sends it 40ms ahead of time. Almost any form of network communication is going to have lag/latency. If musicians complain about 15ms latency with their VST loaded DAW, then i don't see 40ms over the web being an improvement/acceptable. And that's assuming the lag from your internet connection stays relatively unchanged. 20-40ms is considered good, but it can frequently go higher than that depending on local factors.

I can't quite get my head around it but I suspect the muso to muso delay is twice the ping? Then to that you have to add any latency in the interfaces.

Dave.

Back