Frigin' Control Surface!

VirtualSamana

Does anyone else find it completley baffling why the home recording industry hasn't come up with a fucking affordable control surface that actually works?!!!

Who the hell likes to mix with a mouse anyway?!!
Why haven't they figured this one out? Seems like it would be relatively easy to cash in and make all our wrists a lot happier.
I want something that software supports(cubase, cake, vegas, logic, etc.) feels like a mixer and looks kinda cool to boot. Is that asking too much?!!

Options exist you say. Not really! Here's a small breakdown:

Moto mix - looks pretty cool, seems functional, $1000!!! Big "F" in the affordable category

EZ bus from event - looks wize its great,it is a little less pricey that the Moto but it has A/D D/A converters built in which I don't need (already own a sound card)

Roland Studio Pack - same problem as above. It is a mixer so it gets looks/feels like a mixer points. But I don't need all of the stuff it comes with which only drives up its price for me. It looks like a pretty damn good deal though. I have no idea how well it works with software (it supposed to work with Logic well though)

Midiman control surface- this is the soon to be released, magic touch pad control surface that looks like something out of deep space nine. I don't like the looks of this thing. It doesn't have the mixer feel or looks ( no knobs) cost - ?

That's about all I can think of besides the Tascam USB thingy which again has converters that I don't need.

It seems so simple! Why can't they just get it!!
For around $200 I should be able to buy something that hooks up via usb or midi to my computer resembles a mixer in looks and feel (knobs and faders) and syncs to my recording software! Doesn't that sound reasonable? Anyone want to go into business?

I hear you loud and clear

I was/am (wham?) in the same boat. I ended up buying this:

Niche Automation Station <click me>

Of course, I don't see what all the fuss is either.

How hard would it be to at least make a DAW keyboard (ASCII style) with faders on it???? Is there a rule that a control surface must be midi?

If there are shortcut keys or macros in a program, you should be able to assign faders and such to them (as long as they have a PS/2 connector)

So, I concur. What gives?:mad:

Have you checked this one out?

http://www.radikaltechnologies.com/

sorry noticed the $200 price thing. Not that I know of. You do have a good point though here. Scrap the motorized fader shit, I'm sure someone could make a control surface (albeit cheap in quality) that would suffice.

Krakit - I like the automation station but your right, why not ascii or usb. The keyboard with the faders sounds like a great idea!!!

Emeric - Damn that control board does look radikal, I can only guess how much that sucker costs.

Are there any latency issues when using a control surface??? That would be tough...riding a fader and not having the effect take place immediately. I looked at all of the surfaces...I even think peavey had/has something...moterized and all...you can probably snatch up on ebay close to $300

Good Question Yadi.

I've got a few more for anyone with experience with control surfaces:

1. How easy are they to sync with your software?

2. Anyone have results syncing with vegas?

3. Can you use them for mixing down. Does the software recognize fade outs/fade ins. Or do you still need to use the mouse for that?

I feel your pain...

I too have been unsuccessfully looking for a control surface that will work on a PC. There is none, they don't exist. The only ones that work are the Protools boxes, and they are not inexpensive.

I think we're several years from a cheap, workable work surface. I have some hope that it can be done when the digital mixers go through their next product refresh this summer, but it will still cost several thousand dollars.

I was told that STUDIOWARE for the VS 1880 is the ANSWER: but I'm STILL not able to control SONAR's FADERS in my VS 1880!!!!! Can someone HELP US with this please?????

ive been looking at this too, one i am going to try is the icon icontrol, 9 faders and basic transport, usb $90, might be junk, but the avid euphonix i want is $1200, i recon ill try it out.

Back