frequency response

mrbung1e

i'd been told on another forum that my Soundcards high frequency response was the cause the poorish quality recording. Soundblaster Audigy 2. freq response: +/-3dB.

after reading a few posts on these forums i looked on the M-Audio website at the Audiophile. its freqeuncy response is lower at 0.4. is this an acceptable level?

i'lll be recording with an unbalenced line out from my vetta guitar amp. because of the analogue digital converters this would mean that the I/O difference in any one frequency will then vary by 0.8db, as opposed to the current 6. this right? and will it sound decent.

and is there any better cards to check out?

The Audiophile certainly is a cleaner and higher spec card than an Audigy.
However...

Those specs are meaningless without knowing the frequency at which the db points are measured at. Probably, each end is 20Hz and 20Khz. -3db down at 20Khz is not a problem. Your ears and monitors/speakers will be far worse than that.
Also, electric guitar cab speakers fall off cliff-edge fashion above 8Khz. It's mainly things like cymbals that can noticably sound better with an extended frequency response, but even for those, most of the sound is well below 20Khz.

The Audigy has some quirks - the rear outputs actually have a better frequency and noise performance than the main stereo (front) ones, I believe this is because the rear are from a seperate chip rather than the converter embedded in the main chip. I also think there is a difference between the normal line inputs and the aux ones for the same reason.

Bung,

> i'd been told on another forum that my Soundcards high frequency response was the cause the poorish quality recording. <

I agree with Jim - this is not your problem. As proof, take the best sounding CD you own and play it through your system including the Audigy. Does it sound good? Does it sound great? Case closed.

I'm not saying the Audigy is the finest sound card in the world, but it's surely not the limiting factor in your setup.

--Ethan

Back