Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 X Avid Mbox 3 mini

Lord Target

Hi mates, after using for 12 years my Audiomedia III (digidesign) for demo pourposes, I´d like to do a little upgrade.

As I live in Brazil and the prices here hit like 4 or 5 times due taxes on all foreign products, I cant do a real upgrade.

So my budget is really short

I´ve been reading and hearing really good stuff about these two interfaces.

But I really would like to hear what you guys could tell about it

thanx in advance

Last edited:
While I don't really have anything to compare it to, I use the Scarlett 2i2 for mic in (vocals, guitar amp), line, and direct in and it has worked flawlessly for me.

J

While I don't really have anything to compare it to, I use the Scarlett 2i2 for mic in (vocals, guitar amp), line, and direct in and it has worked flawlessly for me.

J

That´s cool. I´ve been reading that the scarlett used to offer some clipping issue. But Im not sure about this information. any thoughts?

And which DAW are you using with? Stability is also ok?

First of all, I have had some issues with the instrument input of the Scarlett 2i2, namely clipping. There are other users who have stated that they never experienced this issue, but for me it just wouldn't work, so I returned it. I have tried it with a couple of my electric guitars: one with high output pickups, and one with medium output pickups, both of them were clipping on my Scarlett 2i2, even though I turned the gain all the way down. There is no pad either, so you cannot lower the input level at all, which for me was enough reason to return it.

On the other hand, I really did like the Mic pres on the Scarlett 2i2, they sounded quite good to me, nice and clear, transparent overall. Of course you could run your instruments through a DI box, but you would have to get a decent one, and I personally don't like what the cheaper DI boxes do to the sound. Good DI boxes, however, are quite expensive, and I would just choose an interface that would not clip in the first place. In the end it is all about trying it out; like I said, there are people who have had none of these issues, and perhaps I just got unlucky, but I felt I had to share my personal experience about the Scarlett 2i2.

Finally, should you decide to go with the Scarlett 2i2, I can highly recommend getting a pci / pci-e USB controller, because in my experience, that will make it run much smoother. Some computer chip-sets are just unreliable and you will not be able to drop down to the lower buffer settings on the audio interface. I have tried with various USB ports on my computer, and I was unhappy with the latency, so I decided to install an extra USB controller, and it worked so much better! I have tried the Scarlett 2i2 with Samplitude Pro X, and a free version of Ableton that came with the interface.

I hope this information will be useful to you.

Kind regards,

That´s cool. I´ve been reading that the scarlett used to offer some clipping issue. But Im not sure about this information. any thoughts?

And which DAW are you using with? Stability is also ok?

I have not had had clipping issues (other than due to my own pilot error) that other posters, in this thread and others, have reported.

I am running Logic Pro X on a new iMac. No issues with installation, drivers, or anything.

J

I have not had had clipping issues (other than due to my own pilot error) that other posters, in this thread and others, have reported.

I am running Logic Pro X on a new iMac. No issues with installation, drivers, or anything.

J

Thanx, man. My prob is that I cant go with a Mac, due tight budget. I will have to go w/ a pc.

Last week I upgraded my Fast Track Pro to a Scarlett 6i6, and for vocals the Focusrite preamps are extremely good. I would highly recommend this product for upgrade purposes.

Last week I upgraded my Fast Track Pro to a Scarlett 6i6, and for vocals the Focusrite preamps are extremely good. I would highly recommend this product for upgrade purposes.

So, this edition has all sorts of gain contro, fixing the possible clipping problem?

So, this edition has all sorts of gain contro, fixing the possible clipping problem?

In terms of clipping, with the Scarlett line it will all depend on where your gain control knob is set. But keep in mind that any interface will clip if your gain is set too high. On my 6i6, I have mine set a little over half way and the 6i6 brings in some warm, non-clipping vocals. In comparison to my Fast Track Pro, the same gain amount wouldn't sound nearly as crisp or sharp, because of the lower quality preamp. Using the Fast Track Pro, I would have to raise the gain level to almost clipping and use compressors to achieve similar results - but at that point the sound becomes more robotic and less natural.

Don't get me wrong though, the Fast Track Pro served its purpose and yielded decent results. I'm sure the Mbox is no slouch.

Last edited:
In terms of clipping, with the Scarlett line it will all depend on where your gain control knob is set. But keep in mind that any interface will clip if your gain is set too high. On my 6i6, I have mine set a little over half way and the 6i6 brings in some warm, non-clipping vocals. In comparison to my Fast Track Pro, the same gain amount wouldn't sound nearly as crisp or sharp, because of the lower quality preamp. Using the Fast Track Pro, I would have to raise the gain level to almost clipping and use compressors to achieve similar results - but at that point the sound becomes more robotic and less natural.

Don't get me wrong though, the Fast Track Pro serviced its purpose and yielded decent results. I'm sure the Mbox is no slouch.

Ive checked on the 6i6 a nd I Liked a lot. Which DAW are you using? Im really inclined to go with Focusrite interfaces. But I ´d like to use Pro Tools on it., cause I´ve grown up using it.

And have you had any truoble with USB connection related to latency and all tha talking around the firewire X USB ?

thanx

I would also check prices for the Steinberg UR22.
It gets a good rep everywhere that I can see especially the mic amps. No comments about clipping either!

Dave.

Ive checked on the 6i6 a nd I Liked a lot. Which DAW are you using? Im really inclined to go with Focusrite interfaces. But I ´d like to use Pro Tools on it., cause I´ve grown up using it.

And have you had any truoble with USB connection related to latency and all tha talking around the firewire X USB ?

thanx

Nope, no latency issues with my 6i6 over ASIO.

I use a couple of DAWs actually - Adobe Audition, Ableton Live 8, and FL Studio 10. I use Audition for podcasting/mastering, FL Studio for midi sequencing, and Ableton Live for its arrangement of wav files and its ability to utilize VST/plugins while recording. As for Pro Tools, I've never used it to its full potential, but it is supported by Focusrite. If you're going down the Pro Tools route and don't have the newest version, you may want to go with the Mbox. It comes with Express Edition.

At this stage in the game, the mid-range interfaces will be pretty similar in performance from what I can tell. The only real difference is the bundled software and aesthetics.

If you're going down the Pro Tools route and don't have the newest version, you may want to go with the Mbox. It comes with Express Edition.

when you talk about the PT newest version you mean it HAS to be like the 10 or 11 edition, or the 9 would solve it?

The Express edition is quite poor. You can only open 16 tracks.

My dinosaur 5.0 LE edition opens 24!

Hey I just purchased a 2i2 and am very happy with it but a couple things you should know first...

There can be some pretty complicated driver issues depending on your setup - some people get it, some don't. I spent the first week of owning the unit downloading every driver under the sun for the device, both from focusrites website, their beta website and the installation disc. Took a long time to find the right combination of OS settings (windows 7 ultimate) and Driver settings to get consistent playback without glitches or dropouts.

AS others have mentioned the line and instrument inputs are very sensitive. The only way I could record my bass direct without clipping was to turn down the output of the pickups themselves on the bass - not ideal I know but a least there was no clipping.

Apart from those two downsides everything else is fantastic on this unit - preamps are great on vocals - AD converters are fairly transparent IMO - and feels rather reliably built

Hope that helps your decision!

Hey I just purchased a 2i2 and am very happy with it but a couple things you should know first...

There can be some pretty complicated driver issues depending on your setup - some people get it, some don't. I spent the first week of owning the unit downloading every driver under the sun for the device, both from focusrites website, their beta website and the installation disc. Took a long time to find the right combination of OS settings (windows 7 ultimate) and Driver settings to get consistent playback without glitches or dropouts.

AS others have mentioned the line and instrument inputs are very sensitive. The only way I could record my bass direct without clipping was to turn down the output of the pickups themselves on the bass - not ideal I know but a least there was no clipping.

Apart from those two downsides everything else is fantastic on this unit - preamps are great on vocals - AD converters are fairly transparent IMO - and feels rather reliably built

Hope that helps your decision!

great help indeed! But I´m no longer thinking about the 2i2 buying. People say that the 2i4 already has a pad that can help the clipping problem. Anyways.. inside my tight budget of 3 hundred bills, i´m thinking about Saffire Pro 14 (or 24) or 6i6. Now the issue has turned mainly Firewire X USB.

It´s kind of heartbreaking to restrain the volume source of an instrument, that affects directly the tone.

thanx

Last edited:
when you talk about the PT newest version you mean it HAS to be like the 10 or 11 edition, or the 9 would solve it?

The Express edition is quite poor. You can only open 16 tracks.

My dinosaur 5.0 LE edition opens 24!

Sorry, I didn't know it was that watered down. :)

great help indeed! But I´m no longer thinking about the 2i2 buying. People say that the 2i4 already has a pad that can help the clipping problem. Anyways.. inside my tight budget of 3 hundred bills, i´m thinking about Saffire Pro 14 (or 24) or 6i6. Now the issue has turned mainly Firewire X USB.

It´s kind of heartbreaking to restrain the volume source of an instrument, that affects directly the tone.

thanx

Your final product selection was similar to mine 2 weeks ago! Its a hard choice, because there are so many interfaces that are decent in the price range...

Your final product selection was similar to mine 2 weeks ago! Its a hard choice, because there are so many interfaces that are decent in the price range...

And what would you say about these two: Avid Pro Tools + Mbox X Saffire 24 Pro

There´s a couple of hundred dollars of difference in their final price, but ´course due the P Tools bundle.

But analysing just the interfaces, huge differences could appear later on? Which one would you grab it?

And what would you say about these two: Avid Pro Tools + Mbox X Saffire 24 Pro

There´s a couple of hundred dollars of difference in their final price, but ´course due the P Tools bundle.

But analysing just the interfaces, huge differences could appear later on? Which one would you grab it?

I'd go with the Saffiire, the preamps and build quality are really hard to beat. :)

Back