Focusrite Scarlett 2i2/Saffire Pro 24 vs Apogee JAM

bmurphyhd28

Hi all,

I'm starting to get more serious about making an album's worth of songs, and I have some general questions about some audio interfaces I'm considering. In the past, I've used an Apogee JAM 96k to record some guitar noodling, but my musical interest has shifted away from guitar-based music, and to more synthesizer and drum based music. I recently purchased a Moog Sub Phatty and I've been running it into the Apogee JAM, which seems to work fine, but I do get some noise from the synth. That I'm not so worried about, but the problem I do have from time to time, and more so with the Moog than guitars, is that the JAM will start to tear sound, and kind of freak out in a really bizarre way. The best way I can describe it is audial pixilation, and once it settles, there's a solid half to whole second lag, that won't go away until I restart the JAM. This happens regardless of the USB port I use on my iMac.

The Apogee has always sounded good for guitars, and it sounds okay with the Moog, but I want to invest in some higher quality gear. I'm curious to know if I'll pick up some added sound quality on something like a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, or even up to the Saffire Pro24. It seems like in the searching I've done, many don't consider the Apogee to be used for "keeper" recordings, and that something like a Scarlett or Saffire is far superior. I may add another hardware analog synthesizer and possibly a drum machine in the future. I don't have much desire to record many instruments at once, so loads of inputs aren't important. I like all the software the Saffire comes with (the Novation softsynth), but the preamp plugins and EQ that come with the Scarlett would be fine as well. I'd like to stay under $300 for an interface, unless something exists that will blow these away for a little more.

Thanks folks!

Brian

Back