Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Bundle (Mic+Headphones) question

vrgimael

Hiya, I'm about to upgrade my studio equipment! :D

I have a very cheap (s#it) £30 Behringer 302 USB interface and a PG58 mic (My old AKG headphones aren't working anymore, so I got to change them..).

I was seriously considering buying the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Bundle, which comes with the 2i2 USB interface, a mic (CM25) and headphones (HP60), both exclusive this bundle and said to be "studio quality".
I can get this bundle 'round here for £200.

My question is: Has anyone ever tried/tested the mic and headphones that comes with this bundle? Any comparison with other brands and models?

I don't know if I should buy the interface only (£120) and buy another pair of headphones like the ATH M40fs for around £70 + a condenser mic for around the same price, or even keep using my PG58 mic and spend some more on the headphones, as I was gonna use them for mixing, just for now.
I'm not even sure if I should buy just cheap tracking headphones + a cheap (but good) monitor set like the M-Audio M40s (£100), although mixing during the night would be big plus.

As you can see, I'm very confused with all this options, and I'd appreciate someone else's opinion.
My budget is ideally something between £200 - £300, but the cheaper the better!

Thanks very much!
Victor

Another question... I just found another potential interface, the Tascam US-122 MkII, which seems to be quite good and quite a bit cheaper at around £80.
Does anyone know if the sound quality (pre-amps, conversion, etc..) will be as good as the Focusrite 2i2 one?
Both units are 24bit and 96kHz and both have the I/O I need, the quality is the only thing that buggers me know.. I've been searching the web for hours and I couldn't find anything about that.

Thanks again,
Victor

both units are 24bit 96khz probably answers your question. the US122 you link to is obsolete, and the newer ones Mk2 are a few generations past the original. Pretty much the same. I always had good luck with Tascam stuff, and had a couple 122 then upgraded to the 1641(1800) model used which is still in use.

I tried a firewire Focusrite which use the "mix-software thing", where the Tascam leaves the routing and that pretty much simple and to me that was better. Worked well with Reaper DAW.
I enjoy Focusrite's ISA One, but could never get used to the firewire and mix-software thing.

The Scarlett has a great converter chip, I looked it up once and it was the same chip as the Apogee stuff I think.
Never had the Scarlett.

I'd go with the Tascam just because it has the option for Line IN also a Mono switch, and Phantom power....and its cheaper!

Back