Focusrite Scarlett 2

songsj

Looking at the Focusrite Scarlett version 2, is there a quality difference in the USB powered unit vs the 12v powered units.

The 2 most comparable ones are the 2i4 and 6i6. Biggest difference is more line and headphone outputs. (You also aren't dependent on your computer's interpretation of the USB spec to be sure you can actually use both mic inputs with 48v, drive your monitors and high-impedance headphones all from USB power.)

Comparison at Focusrite site link. (May be time dependent so no promises if it doesn't work someday.)

Looking at the Focusrite Scarlett version 2, is there a quality difference in the USB powered unit vs the 12v powered units.

No, the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 is bus powered but has exactly the same I/O count as the 6i6 (12V rat, got both). Now, I have not done an exhaustive test but there does not seem to be any difference in either the pre amp or converter quality to me. The KA6 however hisses all over the F'rite for low latency and has THE most stable driver of any sub £300 AI I know of.

The phantom power on the KA6 is a bit weak but it drives my two AKG P150s and my Sontronics STC-2 ok. VERY few AI headphone outs can delver enough juice for a drummer or a guitar 'god' in full cry but most are good enough for most jobs but then a basic can's amp is pretty cheap.

Having a LOT of power available means you could have very low noise, very high headroom mic amps but I don't know of any AI designed that way?

Dave.

I have heard of some people having problems getting enough phantom power in a USB-powered AI to power multiple mics.

I have heard of some people having problems getting enough phantom power in a USB-powered AI to power multiple mics.

I haven't Mike but can quite see that they might. Phantom power delivery is something you never see tested in reviews which is a poor show IMHO because it is an easy thing to test*. If you load the XLR with 2x 6k8 there should be 24V at pins 3&4 ref 1 and that indicates a current delivery of a smell over 7mA, enough for the vast majority of mics I would think?
Such a test is even more important these days since we have devices other than microphones that use phantom power, pre amps and DI boxes.

You can of course buy 48V supplies but be wary! I bought 2 that had very poor current capacity but a different brand was fine. Both were commendably quiet. If anyone needs a phantom PSU get the resistors, meter and test leads ready for delivery and pounce on the box! If it is not up to spec for V, I or noise, bounce it back pronto.

*I can see that testing a 16+ input mixer would be quite a trial but IF magazine are going to do such things I think they owe us a fair job?

Dave.

Back