Focusrite Saffire Pro 40

chelsplayspiano

I've only been recording for a couple months and so far, I've only rented equipment. I have the opportunity to purchase a used Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. I've used the Presonus Firestudio before, using Logic Express 8 and I really liked how easy it was to set up and use. The biggest thing is I want to be able to record to separate channels using Logic Express, does anyone know if/how well this works with the Saffire? Compared to Firestudio? And any other general knowledge of the Saffire that may help me make the decision to buy it or not? Thanks!

I have the Pro 40 and use Logic Express 9. Everything is awesome for me with the Pro 40. I've never used a Firestudio, but the Pro 40 is great and has excellent preamps. You'll be able to record 8 separate channels into Logic with the Pro 40 and you can link up another interface (or two) to get some more separate channels as well. I really haven't felt any limitations with the Pro 40, though one thing to note is that only the first two inputs (on the front panel) have built-in DIs/pads. If you have an opportunity to purchase a used Pro 40 at a good price, I'd go for it! If you don't mind me asking, how much is the used Pro 40 going for? I might be able to find you a good deal for a new Pro 40 online.

Thanks for your reply! The seller wants $400 for it and it's 2 years old but described as "in mint condition". Includes power cable and firewire cable. I may have to pay more to have it shipped too. Could you explain more about the built-in DIs/pads? I'm not sure what that means...

I just checked and the seller I usually recommend for buying a Pro 40 doesn't have their regular deal. You might want to check eBay before buying from your seller. Right now there's some deals better than $400 on there.

The pads decrease the input signal by 10 dB. The pads are useful when you are micing a really loud source such as drums, as they keep the input signal from clipping and give you extra headroom. You don't always need pads though, and you can always buy some external in-line pads if you really need them.

The DIs are for recording any instrument that you would plug straight into the interface, such as a guitar or bass (if you aren't micing an amp to record them, that is). If you need more DI inputs you can always buy a DI box online.

Another thing to note: the phantom power turns on in blocks of four channels. IOW, you have two buttons for phantom power: one for channels 1-4, another for channels 5-8. This would only be a problem if you were using more than four phantom powered mics and a ribbon mic in the same session (ribbon mics don't respond well to phantom power).

Back