Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP - zero gain, sound comes through anyway?

vstrongbad

Hi Folks,

Specs:

Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP
Windows 10
Saffire MixControl

No matter what the mic, it seems basically impossible to prevent it from picking up sound. Enough sound so that I can use "OK Google". Gain on hardware to 0, Win 10 recording level at 0, etc.

Why?

Thank you,

V

Hi Folks,

Specs:

Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP
Windows 10
Saffire MixControl

No matter what the mic, it seems basically impossible to prevent it from picking up sound. Enough sound so that I can use "OK Google". Gain on hardware to 0, Win 10 recording level at 0, etc.

Why?

Thank you,

V

Don't really understand all of that but.. "Gain" controls are just that, they set a value from XdB to YdB . Unhelpfully, F'rite do not tell us the range (but then they are FAR from alone in publishing shit speccs!) but somewhere in the 10 to 60dB range would be common.

If you want to kill a mic completely on an AI (mixers often have switches but always have an infinite attenuating channel fader) you will either have to unplug it or make some other arrangement,viz...

When my son was here recording he wanted just such a facility. The ability to leave everything setup but kill the mic(s) to avoid feedback. Dad was therefore tasked to make an XLR-XLR box with switches and LEDs, selected for VERY low, sub 1mA, current drain from the phantom power.

Such fun!

Dave.

Thank you Dave!

Seems so odd, no easy way to kill it on the DSP. A simple button would do.

Nor on the Saffire MixControl. Of course there's so much I don't understand: does the data go to the MixControl as it comes in over the FireWire - before anything else gets at it - or maybe that doesn't make any sense! I guess Win10 needs to get hold of it first. Weird.

Cheers,

Vince

Back