Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 not detected - Windows 7

sulla

(I think this is the correct forum if not is is possible for a mod to move the post? )

Hi I just recieved a Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 but no matter what I do the mixer software does not detect it. Seems it never gets a firewire connection as the FW light never comes on. The power light and the LKD both some on.

Facts.....

1. Running windows 7 64 bit.

2. Firewire connection is the one from the mother board a asus p6t deluxe v2. It has a VIA chipset for firewire. I have connected both to the mother board directly and to the connection on the front.

3. No other firewire devices are hooked up.

4. The latest mixer software from Focusrite's website is installed.

5. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software being very careful to do each step as they recommend incase I missed something the first time.

6. The Saffire Pro 14 is running only on Firewire power at the moment. The power adapter was not shipped with it the first time.

7. I am using a brand new firewire cable. I have also tried another firewire cable just to make sure.

8. I see no problems in device manager.

9. The firewire windows driver is up to date. I also tried the legacy driver just to see if it would work.

Any ideas on what else to try?

Thanks!

I have no direct experience here but about 5 years ago the forums were heaving with Fussywire AI/chipset issues and so I read a lot about it. Bottom line, in most cases you need a Texas Instruments chipset but I admit I never read of a VIA not working at all (just tended to be dropouty and a PITA) .

I would seriously consider getting a TI, FW PCIe x1 card. That might just sort everything at one stroke since you will get the bang up right drivers with it.

Otherwise, look in Services and make sure "1394 devices" (or similar) has not been disable, want to be "Automatic" I would think.

Study the Asus MOBO manual closely and see if FW can be and is switched off. BUT! Before you start to poke in the BIOS have a clean USB stick handy to save the existing BIOS setup. Most MOBO can do this now, some even has "Auto return to factory state after noob FU"!

It would also be interesting to try another FW device on the port. Can you borrow a FW hard drive say?

Top PC gurus will be along soon no doubt. There is a Focusrite "Man" on the strength here and there is Pete of "Scan" over at Sound On Sound | Recording Techniques | Audio Technology | Music Production | Computer Music | Video Media always happy to help.

Dave.

Yup. Firewire tends to be very fussy about the chipset in use, particularly when streaming audio or video.

The only chipset that's pretty much universally acceptable is TI

Focusrite have an app you can run to check the compatibility of your Firewire chipset...my first step would be to run that. It's available here: How can I tell if my Firewire chipset is compatible with my interface? | Focusrite

Also note the comment about legacy drivers in Windows 7 in the same Focusrite details.

Have you ever had it running at all?

The Presonus website lists firewire chipsets that are compatible with its products. I don't know if Focusrite has the same thing, but its worth checking out. TI chipsets are usually preferred, but I've had no problems with VIA.

Some firewire interfaces are fussy abut the order of events when installing.

You might consider a system restore to a point before you installed the focusrite, and start afresh.

Edit: I see Bobbsy has beaten me to it!

Good point about the switch on order. Even with a compatible chip set, for my FW set up I have to have the interface on and stable, then power up and boot the computer. If I boot then switch on the interface, it often won't pick it up. (And I get paranoid about the "no hot patching" instructions even though I doubt it really matters with my particular set up.)

Oooo! Did not know that Bobbs, nice one.

Sad comment on the FW protocol tho' that such an app' is needed? Never had FW on any PC nor wanted it!

Dave.

Back