Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 Dual Unit Mode w/ MacBook Pro & Logic Pro X

StoneThrower

I am trying to use two Saffire Pro 14 interfaces in dual unit mode to run a multitracking drum recording session, but am running into a roadblock getting Logic to see the inputs from the second Saffire unit. Each unit is running into its own thunderbolt port on my 15" MacBook Pro which is up to date on the latest OS X and Logic Pro X versions, and I have a feeling this may be where I'm running into my problem as the Saffire Pro user manual states that in order to run dual unit mode using separate FireWire ports, they must be on the same FireWire bus.

I'm not sure how this correlates to the thunderbolt ports/busses - the Saffire Pros are FireWire devices, and I am using FireWire to thunderbolt adapters to connect. I would be grateful for some information on how thunderbolt and FireWire are or are not related and any instruction on how to get Logic to see the two interfaces as one thunderbolt device.

It is worth noting that in Saffire MixControl, the two units show as successfully linked and I am getting a signal from each of the 4 (combined between the two interfaces) mic inputs within MixControl, but in Logic the input drop down menu for any given track only shows the 8 inputs (mic preamps plus the line/instrument inputs) available from the master interface. I should also note that the "FW" LED indicator on the master unit is active while the LED on the secondary unit is not.

Any help getting me past this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Back