Focusrite Installation Guide

Flei

There seems to be a lot of people that are having issues with their Focusrite interfaces. I thought it might make sense for people who have successfully installed and used them to share their experiences. If anybody else has any tips that I have left out, please add them. Also, this is for a PC. If there are any successful Mac Focusrite users out there, please chime in as well...

Although Focusrite makes several different interfaces, the installation process is similar...

Step 1
DO NOT USE THE INCLUDED DISK

Why not?
Although never stated publicly, there are apparently some significant "issues" with the versions of software on the factory disks. Instead of creating new disks (expensive for the company), they simply fixed the bugs and posted the "fixed" versions of the software on their site for each product (cheap for the company). Almost everybody I have ever encountered that used the disks has had serious issues ever since.

Step 2
Go to the Focusrite website and find the page for your product. On each product page there is a DOWNLOAD button, go there. Here's where you have to be careful not to just pick stuff. Sometimes there are multiple versions of a file - only get the latest versions of the drivers, MixControl, and any plug-ins that are available. Save all the files to a folder on your PC.

Step 3

Open/install the files in this order:
Drivers
MixingConsole
Plug-Ins

Step 4
Hook up your hardware -
Everybody's studio is different, but I suggest only hooking up one device to test it out. Just for simplicity, I'd recommend a mic, but use whatever you've got.

Step 5
Setting up MixControl...

MixControl is a beast. It's very capable, but not very user friendly (IMO). I can't even begin to advise people on how to set it up because every single studio will have a different configuration. Essentially you need to make sure that you have your DAW's (or any other audio source) output assigned to a MixControl Input channel. Then you need to route that signal to a "Mix", then whatever monitors you are using. It can (and will) get way more complicated than that, but that's what is boils down to. There is a steep learning curve, but once you get it, it's good.

Example:
I use Acid Pro (it's old but still good). I obviously need to be able to hear Acid, but I also use Acid to record samples - so I need to set up the inputs too. I have Acid's output (set up from within Acid's settings menu) set to DAW 7/8 (2 channels because it's stereo). I have Acid set up to record from Analog 3/4 (that is the physical input on the interface that is hooked up to the output of my DJ mixing board). From within MixControl, I set up DAW 7/8 to go to Mix 1 (you can have different "Mixes" routed to different outputs). Finally, you need to actually hear what is going on, so you need to route Mix1 to your monitors. In my case, I have Outputs 1&2 set to Mix1. Outputs 1&2 go to my monitors. I also have my headphone output set to Mix1.

What if I want to be able to showcase my DJ skills (ha!!) without loading Acid? In that case, I would also want to route Analog 3/4 to Mix1. As it is set up in the example above, I would only be able to hear the turntables when Acid is up since they would be routed from Acid's outputs.

Everybody's setup will be different.

Step 6
If you made it all the way to Step 6, you should reward your self. Seriously. :drunk:

Last but not least - SAVE YOUR SETTINGS. Within MixControl, you can save all your settings. I actually have two or three settings files that I use, depending on how I want to route things on any given day.

This is not intended to be an all encompassing instruction manual. I'm not an expert, but I do like to try to help where I can. Good luck!!

Oddly enough the MixControl routing and everything was set up with my DAW when I installed it. Didn't have to do a thing. Can I still reward myself? :eatpopcorn::drunk::spank:

Great guide though, I'm sure many will get great help from reading this!

If you can't get past the 48 kHz sample rate, then you're probably on Win7. After several hours of bitter struggle, today, I found the answer on a video website. It's on the Focusrite website too, but if you don't know the problem is firewire related, you're not going to find it.
Anyway, you should install the legacy version of the win7 firewire driver, see Fixing Firewire Problems in Windows 7 - David Knarr.
Actually, this isn't proper to Focusrite, but to win7.

I HATE mixcontrol/ My 8i6o is great but the software is a beast. I've done everything as directed & basically have to redisciver a routing system every few times I use it - even when I save one. The media programs in my DAW machine hate it too: Foobar, WavRepair etc jsut stuff up & crackle pop. I've contacted Support but whilst they suggest things they aren't getting anywhere fast.

Back