Focusrite Claret8x with PC?

cafehonda

Does anybody have experience with a Focusrite Claret8prex on a Windows 7 based platform? Looks like the best bang for the buck but Thunderbolt and PC scares me due to lack of experience. Doing a major upgrade at the studio soon.

I'm still not exactly sure how well supported Thunderbolt is, even on motherboards that say "thunderbolt ready". FireWire sucked so bad on PC that I have my doubts that Thunderbolt will be any better.

Very few PC motherboards have integrated Thunderbolt ports. I suppose that the "thunderbolt ready" tag means that their PCIe bus is setup to handle the data bandwidth and the power requirements so that a thunderbolt card could be installed. I'd be curious to do a little research about how successful people have been in adding aftermarket thunderbolt cards to boards that advertise that they can use them.

I bought my computer from Sweetwater, and paid a lot extra for the thunderbolt option. I've been waiting for a TB interface for a couple years, so this better work!

I'm sure Sweetwater will help me out, I may just drive out there with my computer and make sure it works.

Now I need to come up with about $600 bucks....hmm....what to sell.......

I understand...hopefully it's as great on PC as it is for Macs. FireWire was so freaking finicky on PCs...some people had no troubles, some people had immense troubles (me included). Having to use very specific chips, fiddling with drivers and legacy drivers, installing and uninstalling...FW was just a giant pain.

I hope that the specifications for Thunderbolt are more solid, rigid, and more widely compatible than its predecessor.

When I built my audio computer, I used the Creation Station specs as my guide since I hadn't built a computer for a decade before that, and had lost touch with current hardware. I like the look of those machines.

Now I know I plug Sound on Sound a lot here! (NOT earning I can assure you!) but they have Pete of Scan fame on the forum and he is VERY generous with his time.

If ANYONE outside Msoft or a MOBO Co knows the current SP of TB on PC? Pete is the man.

Dave.

Back