Flat panel LCD monitors VS. CRT monitors for optimum recording...

Obstacle1

Is it true that Flat Panel LCD monitors are better for recording purposes than a standard CRT as CRT's create an interference with equipment such as amps and PA etc. Whereas Flat LCD monitors add no interference?

Last edited:
Yes, pretty much true. Not to mention the weight difference between a 20" lcd and 20" crt is about 3/4's of a ton.

Okay - sorted then, another reason to buy a flat screen. On top of the whole weight and space issue of it, thats enough for me to persuade myself that i'm making an 'investment' and not just spending for the sake of it.

Thanks for clearing that up for me jonnyc

I like crt's because they have better picture qaulity for the price. but if I had the money I'd go with a dual LCD setup.

CRT's usually do have better picture quality then LCD's, but I did find one LCD that caught my eye, and it was the best one i've seen, manifactuerer was NEC I don't remember the exact model but it was a multisync w/ a kind of glass display, and it looked REAL sharp. everything else was to dull

Mindset said:
CRT's usually do have better picture quality then LCD's, but I did find one LCD that caught my eye, and it was the best one i've seen, manifactuerer was NEC I don't remember the exact model but it was a multisync w/ a kind of glass display, and it looked REAL sharp. everything else was to dull

Picture quality only matters if you are using Photoshop or want true color representation. Why would anybody care about that for DAW work?

I am using a 20" LCD and it is paradise . . . 1600 x 1200, which I can rotate to vertical when I stack up a lot of tracks :)

brzilian said:
Picture quality only matters if you are using Photoshop or want true color representation. Why would anybody care about that for DAW work?

Yes your right, but for me, i like my monitor to represent the best quality it can for the money. The monitor I was stating was also easier on the eyes too. For someone who has to sit there and track for hours, shouldn't they have something that would be easier on their eyes so that they don't sit there and squint to see what they are doing, and then eventually unconsciously mix worst? :confused: not that it happens often.

If I was to spend my hard earned dollars on something, I would like it to last & give exceptional quality. It might have to do with the fact that I also do lil graphic work?

I use a CRT with a curve on it, and it starts to hurt my eyes after mixing for hours & I myself usually find myself uncomfortable & want to do it as fast as possible. Just from personal experience.

Obstacle1 said:
Is it true that Flat Panel LCD monitors are better for recording purposes than a standard CRT as CRT's create an interference with equipment such as amps and PA etc. Whereas Flat LCD monitors add no interference?

Most equimpent these days (like active monitors for example) is magnetically shielded so you can put them next to any type of monitor and not have any issues. Unless you're usuing older monitors, I wouldn't think it would be an issue either way.

mrT said:
I like crt's because they have better picture qaulity for the price. but if I had the money I'd go with a dual LCD setup.

Depends on your definition of picture quality. CRTs have more accurate color reproduction; more accurately, they can express a broader range of color and contrast. However, CRTs are inherently less stable (jitter) and less crisp than LCDs, and thus LCDs are dramatically easier on your eyes.

I switched to LCDs exclusively for my computing back about five years ago. Did wonders for my headaches. Now instead of having a headache every day, I only have a couple of days every few weeks, mostly when tired. The reduction in eyestrain is substantial.

CRTs have a smaller pixel pitch (size). I think LCDs have a much better contrast ratio. I would never go back to a CRT after buying a 24" LCD from Dell. It has a 1000:1 contast ratio and colors are way more vibrant. I say LCDs all the way. Plus they look sweet! :cool:

Did wonders for my headaches. Now instead of having a headache every day, I only have a couple of days every few weeks, mostly when tired. The reduction in eyestrain is substantial.

seriously, that was a big thing for me too. Have had my dell precision for 2 years now and I don't even know what eye strain head aches are anymore. For me just freeing up the real estate was a good enough reason to pony up for a LCD

I have three monitors on my desk, two LCDs and a CRT. The CRT stays because I hate viewing photos on LCD. It just isn't real.

GOODLAND said:
CRTs have a smaller pixel pitch (size). I think LCDs have a much better contrast ratio. I would never go back to a CRT after buying a 24" LCD from Dell. It has a 1000:1 contast ratio and colors are way more vibrant. I say LCDs all the way. Plus they look sweet! :cool:

Yeah, I have my eye on the Dell 24" widescreen. Stupid other expenses keep popping up and derailing me though. :mad:

I don't think anyone mentioned it yet, but CRTs will induce noise in guitars if they get too close. Kind of annoying if you like to sit at the computer to track guitars and run your cable and amp to a different room.

Reggie said:
Yeah, I have my eye on the Dell 24" widescreen. Stupid other expenses keep popping up and derailing me though. :mad:

It's one of the best 24" monitors out right now and the price is way lower than the Apple 23". The dell 24" is definately worth every penny. Good Luck with your purchase.

Reggie said:

I don't think anyone mentioned it yet, but CRTs will induce noise in guitars if they get too close. Kind of annoying if you like to sit at the computer to track guitars and run your cable and amp to a different room.

My backlit universal remote will induce noise in guitars if it gets too close. Heck, the backlight in my watch would probably induce noise. Guitar pickups really freaking suck. :D

Mind that some of the power supply for the LCD are not great and they generate a low volume high-pitch. Gotta be careful.

Back