Flange effect when tracking vocals

tpreager

Okay, bear with me on this one.

I'm having a strange problem at my studio when recording vocals. Basically when the singer sings through the mic, he hears a flange effect on his headphones, to which I'm pretty sure is caused by a delay that's occuring or 2 of the same monitor signals being sent with one delayed.

The weird thing is that is just started happening as of yesterday.

My gear:
- Nuendo 2.2
- 2 MOTU 896 (not HD's)
- Behringer HA4700 headphone amp
The main outs on the MOTU are sent to the main ins on the headphone amp.
THe outputs of the headphone amp are wired to the booths (2 of them) and the other 2 to my live room.

Something that really picks my brain is that if I listen to the same output channel on the headphone amp in the control room (since the HA4700 has 2 outputs per channel) then I don't hear the effect going on. I tried different channels on the headphone amp as well but it doesn't change anything. So it's only happening on the singers headphones. I thought maybe the mic was picking up the output of the headphones because the headphones were too loud but if I listen to his headphones then I still hear this effect.

I have tried changing the latency parameters in Nuendo and it only made it worse, but at least I know that I can change it in software and it affects what is heard. This makes me think it is a software problem but I'm still not sure.

I know this is kind of confusing, so I hope you guys can understand whats going on. I will be doing some more debugging on this problem later today when I get my studio to try and locate the source of this problem

Any ideas or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Timmy J

(hopefully this falls into the right forum, :) )

problem solved

After doing some more debugging, I realized it was a latency problem so I reduced my buffer size on the MOTU firewire console.

THanks guys! hehe.

TIm

Back