Firewire or USB 2

thebusker

Hi,
I have just started recording music (acoustic guitar/vocals etc.) to Mac, using Logic Express 9, after years of recording to a dedicated HD multitrack recorder.
I am currently using Roland cakewalk UA-25EX audio interface connected via USB 2, and that seems fine at the moment but I was wondering if maybe a Firewire connection would be better and more reliable (as in the Edirol FA-66 or M-Audio Profire 610).
I have heard that there isn't much difference, can anyone advise please? :confused:
Although there are other, less expensive units, I do need all the features these two have.
Cheers

Last edited:
I just lost a long description that I posted about the subject just now. Friggen server is killing my mood! :mad:

Basically, USB 2.0 will limit you to 16 tracks. At least manufacturers are not producing units with more. Expansion to more than 16 seems impossible. USB does not play well with other devices on the same buss. Ideally, you want to have a separate PCI USB2.0 card ($20), or just have nothing running on the same port. A USB3.0 port would work just fine. I use a USB interface with no problems whatsoever.

Firewire has more bandwidth, and is able to do multiple tasks at once as far as I have learned. It is easily expandable to more tracks. That being said, it seems that it is being phased out by computer manufacturers. The jury is still out it seems.

I would have no problem recommending either type of interface connection. It just depends on what you have, and what you need from an interface.

I'm sure there is a change coming when manufacturers come out with Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 interfaces. Still, there is no reason to not use one of the unit that are out now.

Disclaimer: I am no authority on this subject. I am just relaying what I have read, and my own experiences. I could be wrong. :)

Back