Firewire usb?

Herm

Would someone tell me the differance between firewire and usb? Im confused about the two or are they the same.
Thank you

Herm said:
Would someone tell me the differance between firewire and usb? Im confused about the two or are they the same.
Thank you

Ever heard of the search function?????

This question was just answered (for the millionth time) last week.

Yes I have heard of the search function but I thought it would be a lot more fun to see if I could find how many dickheads are on this forum.
Looks like I am up to 1.

although brazillian could have said it a bit more civially, i agree. it gets frustrating to see the same question posted a gizillion times a weak. Maybe a new user to the forum deserves some slack as they may not have mastered the search function yet, but you have a significant amount of posts.

oh yeah, the question!

usb 1 < firewire 400 < usb 2 < firewire 800

in terms of their bandwidth, i think thats how it goes. they both are used to connect external gear to your computer without having to restart genearlly. If you have the option i would go with firewire as IMO it is more stable, less problematic. save your USB slots for mice, keyboards, printers etc.

Herm said:
Yes I have heard of the search function but I thought it would be a lot more fun to see if I could find how many dickheads are on this forum.
Looks like I am up to 1.

Looks like I can add another one to my "Lazy ass moron who can't do anything on his own" list as well...

Come on guys you know how it can get.
Poor music techie gets fed up playing with himself.
Decides he needs an interactive source of information and entertainment.
Doesn't want to actually share SPACE with other humans just the information dimension. ;)
Logs on here and asks a question.
Maybe to see if there's still anyone out there and that the Multiverse didn't collapse while he was
a) Trying to get that last loop just right.
b) Mopping up after aforementioned onanistic pursuits. ;)

No good trying to act cool on a techie site.
We're all nerds here you know. ;) :D

minofifa said:
oh yeah, the question!

usb 1 < firewire 400 < usb 2 < firewire 800

in terms of their bandwidth, i think thats how it goes.

Only in theoretical bandwidth. In real-world bandwidth, it's either

USB1.x < (FW400 == USB2.0) < FW800​

or depending on who you ask,

USB1.x < USB2.0 < FW400 < FW800​

The reason for this is that FireWire has DMA support built into the bus protocol. The bus controller itself can do DMA on behalf of devices without the processor becoming involved. Thus, as far as busses go, it is extremely easy on the processor.

USB, by contrast, can do DMA as requested by software running on the host, for some things. I'm not sure about the details, but basically the CPU has to be heavily involved in every transaction on the bus.

minofifa said:
they both are used to connect external gear to your computer without having to restart genearlly. If you have the option i would go with firewire as IMO it is more stable, less problematic. save your USB slots for mice, keyboards, printers etc.

FireWire is more stable, in part, because each FireWire device (according to the spec) has a GUID (globally unique ID). That means that you can recognize a given firewire device even when stupid things happen like circular paths in the bus, bus reenumeration due to buggy hubs, etc. There are probably other reasons, too, but that's the first one that comes to mind.

Definitely FireWire.

People that complain about questions being asked really crack me up. Its a fucking Home Recording BBS! Lighten the fuck up!

If you don't like seeing the same question asked over again, then don't answer. It's not like there isn't anyone else here that cant answer.

And yeah - another vote for firewire.

People that complain about questions being asked really crack me up. Its a fucking Home Recording BBS! Lighten the fuck up!

Even when the same question is being asked/answered a few posts down on the first page?

What kind of lazy-ass person doesn't even look at that first?

Man Im ready! I just got done with an album for the spectors and I need to play.

brzilian said:
Even when the same question is being asked/answered a few posts down on the first page?

What kind of lazy-ass person doesn't even look at that first?

I didn't notice that. :o

A few things, yes I realize this thread is very old. Second, I used the search function to find it ironically(if you read the thread you'll get the irony), Third...It made me want to go with Firewire instead of USB. ^_^

Back