Firewire-to-Thunderbolt Adapter and Phantom Power

Spillenger

Hi.

My Firestudio Mobile has an antiquated FW 400 (!) connector out to the computer. My MacBook Air has no FW in at all; it has Thunderbolt and USB 3.0. I have a FW 400 to FW 800 cable, to which I attached a FW 800 to Thunderbolt adapter. My AT2020 mic gets no phantom power. This is the problem. I'm sure it is a known problem. What I don't know is if there is a solution -- other than using a different computer, a different mic (i.e., not a condenser) or a different audio interface.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Paul

Hi,
Are the FS mobile and mic known to work properly when the FS is connected directly to a FW400/800 port?

If you're 100% certain that the issue is lack of power due to the thunderbolt connection, which is a thing, have you tried using the interfaces power supply?
They come with a 12V 1amp for this reason.

Hi,
Are the FS mobile and mic known to work properly when the FS is connected directly to a FW400/800 port?

Yes. absolutely.

If you're 100% certain that the issue is lack of power due to the thunderbolt connection, which is a thing, have you tried using the interfaces power supply?
They come with a 12V 1amp for this reason.

Yes, the FSM is plugged in.

It's for this reason that I suspect the difficulty lies in the FW to Thunderbolt connection.

Thanks.

Yes, the FSM is plugged in.

It's for this reason that I suspect the difficulty lies in the FW to Thunderbolt connection.

Thanks.

Hi,
From Presonus,
"NOTE: Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapters do not produce enough bus power to properly user FireStudio Mobile units. Therefore, you must use the included power supply with the device to make it function properly."

If you're using the power supply that came with it and not getting phantom power, it's not going to be related to the firewire/thunderbolt connection.

Is this new gear? Is any of it tested or proven to work? Can I assume you're using an XLRm to XLRf cable?
Have you pressed the phantom power button and did the blue light come on?

Patronising, I know....but we get all sorts. :p

Hi,
From Presonus,
"NOTE: Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapters do not produce enough bus power to properly user FireStudio Mobile units. Therefore, you must use the included power supply with the device to make it function properly."
Yes, my Firestudio Mobile is plugged in to a power outlet.

If you're using the power supply that came with it and not getting phantom power, it's not going to be related to the firewire/thunderbolt connection.

I would think the opposite would be true -- that if I'm using the power supply and not relying on bus power, then it must be something else, and since I've gotten phantom power to my AT2020 when the FSM was plugged into my MacBook Pro with a straight FW connection, the only variable seems to be the FW-Thunderbolt adapter I'm using with the MB Air. What am I missing?
Is this new gear? Is any of it tested or proven to work? Can I assume you're using an XLRm to XLRf cable?
Have you pressed the phantom power button and did the blue light come on?

No, it is not new. Yes, the mic and the FSM have both worked well for me with other computers. Yes, I am using XLRs. Yes, I pressed the phantom power button and the blue light came on.
Patronising, I know....but we get all sorts. :p

No offense taken.

What I'm thinking now is that there are different quality FW-Thunderbolt adapters and maybe mine (which I bought at an Apple Store) isn't up to the job of transferring that electricity properly. Or perhaps I should consider getting a FW800 to USB 3.0 adapter? Or maybe it's that my cable from the FSM is a FW400 on one end and a FW800 on the other? Which leads me to wonder again why Presonus has a FW400 jack for the only out on its FSM!

Thanks.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think the opposite would be true -- that if I'm using the power supply and not relying on bus power, then it must be something else, and since I've gotten phantom power to my AT2020 when the FSM was plugged into my MacBook Pro with a straight FW connection, the only variable seems to be the FW-Thunderbolt adapter I'm using with the MB Air. What am I missing?

Hi Paul,
Yes, ordinarily firewire has enough juice to power the unit but failing that the psu completely takes over and the FW/Thunderbolt power capabilities become irrelevant.
In that case the firewire/thunderbolt connections are purely for data transfer.

You're using the right data cables - Don't bother with USB; There's no viable solution there.

Here are a few things to check.
Since the blue light is coming on, I'd say phantom power is probably working fine.
If you plug in the mic, turn up the gain, and gently tap the mic, do the meters on the interface light up?
If so phantom power is working fine.

Does your operating system recognise the interface? (spotlight search for 'system information' and go to thunderbolt or firewire).
If so, does your recording software see the interface?

If you can somehow prove that the interface works perfectly fine with a dynamic mic or an electric guitar, but not with a condenser mic, then maybe there's something to it.
Failing that I think it's more likely you're getting phantom power just fine but your software end isn't set up right.

PS: Your replies got lumped in with my block of quoted text. I tidied it up for you, and for anyone reading it.

Hi Paul,
Yes, ordinarily firewire has enough juice to power the unit but failing that the psu completely takes over and the FW/Thunderbolt power capabilities become irrelevant.
In that case the firewire/thunderbolt connections are purely for data transfer.

You're using the right data cables - Don't bother with USB; There's no viable solution there.

Here are a few things to check.
Since the blue light is coming on, I'd say phantom power is probably working fine.
If you plug in the mic, turn up the gain, and gently tap the mic, do the meters on the interface light up?
If so phantom power is working fine.

Does your operating system recognise the interface? (spotlight search for 'system information' and go to thunderbolt or firewire).
If so, does your recording software see the interface?

If you can somehow prove that the interface works perfectly fine with a dynamic mic or an electric guitar, but not with a condenser mic, then maybe there's something to it.
Failing that I think it's more likely you're getting phantom power just fine but your software end isn't set up right.

PS: Your replies got lumped in with my block of quoted text. I tidied it up for you, and for anyone reading it.

Thanks. The blue light on the FSM comes on, yes, but the blue light on the AT2020 that normally comes on when it's getting power does not come on.

Yes, the operating system sees the interface and even sees the FW-Thunderbolt adapter. Yes, the recording software (Studio One) sees the FSM. No, the AT2020 is not sending a signal to the FSM (no meter lights) nor is it sending a signal to the DAW.

Everything works fine when I plug this setup into my MBP FW800 connector.

Paul

Thanks. The blue light on the FSM comes on, yes, but the blue light on the AT2020 that normally comes on when it's getting power does not come on.

Yes, the operating system sees the interface and even sees the FW-Thunderbolt adapter. Yes, the recording software (Studio One) sees the FSM. No, the AT2020 is not sending a signal to the FSM (no meter lights) nor is it sending a signal to the DAW.

Everything works fine when I plug this setup into my MBP FW800 connector.

Paul

I'd guess your PSU is broken, or is the wrong kind. (12V DC, positive on the pin, I believe.)

I just plugged a mic into my fire studio mobile and plugged in the external power supply.
No firewire/thunderbolt at all.

With phantom on and the gain up I'm definitely getting a strong signal and the meters are bouncing.

Do you get this?
I'm guessing no.

Bit of a retrograde step? One of the biggest advantages of FW was its much greater power capability over USB 2.0, technically up t0 45W tho' I doubt any PCs could actually deliver that much.

Dave.

Bit of a retrograde step? One of the biggest advantages of FW was its much greater power capability over USB 2.0, technically up t0 45W tho' I doubt any PCs could actually deliver that much.

Dave.

I don't know that much about it but I doubt bus powered firewire devices were much of a concern when developing the thunderbolt interface.
That said, I don't imagine it would have been too hard to provide an adequate supply.

I suppose if mobile recording on apple is your bag, USB looks like the way forward.

Back