firewire noise!

liquidgruve

just got presonus firebox and experincing background noise with and without any recording software. even the main out on the sound card is all the way down. it actually doesnt chage the volume of the noise at all. it is there even there is music playing...
still annoying because i still hear it while i'm writing this newpost...i tried changin the latency didnt affect anything from 1.5 to 25ms it is still there.
the noise gets louder and more annoying when i start cubase le.
and the funny thing is there is an additional noise when i move my optical mouse.
the noise sounds like distortions a high frequency one...something like digital noise...continous bzzzzz and a few clicks and pops .

i'm suspecting a firewire powersupply rfi problem. any ideas??
computer running with winxp/xppro on asus p4s8x p4 2ghz ddr400 1gb ram 2 sata hdds and one ide hdd.

How close is the box to your monitors, crt, cordless phone, cpu tower? Try moving the firebox away from all other electronic devices and see if the noise is still there.

might be a stupid question but is the firewire cable inserted properly check your connections...

Do you have more than one soundcard in the machine? If you do remove one... did the noise go away?

Defective box maybe? Take it back to the store switch out for another one :confused:

it is away from almost evertything...and connections are good. actually everyting else works good but the noise...

i think it might be a defective unit. i just sent an email to presonus about this i'll wait and see...
the noise is actually my computer's internal noise converted into analog sound anyhting that my hdds seek for i can hear it from the monitors:) also anything my mouse does:)

monitors' volume are all the way up but i think i shouldnt be hearing such noise at all...

Are you using balanced cable for the monitors? Maybe they're picking up the PC.

yeah i was picking up my computer's noise cause everything was on the same outlet...i switched it to another one all the way in the kitchen now:)

it kinda solved the problem at least i dont hear the pc noise anymore. but now i hear line noise. my cables are not balanced although the connections on monitors and the sound card are... so think i also need new cables.
but for the humming noise what do you guys suggest as a filter??

a monster powersupply?

I seriously need a line filter. Whenever my mom turns on the blender, or my of my siblings uses a pencil sharpener, I immediately get horrendous noise line that destroys the track I was recording.

The noise you describe sounds like what happens if you leave CD line in turned on in windows sound. At least that is the result I get on my SBLive if I leave the cd line in on. Every mouse scroll whell movement is accompanied by electronic squeaks.

Back