Firewire interface & windows 8

Dark Star Balla

I finally upgraded my PC and went with windows 8. Now I'm catching hell trying to install my Tascam fw-1884 drivers and I keep getting the message I can not install with this version of windows. I am extremely PO'd. I have read posts stating windows 8 does not support firewire? WTH is that about??! Does anyone use windows with a firewire interface would love it more to hear from people using the fw-1884.

If I were you, I would go get W7 and install it on your upgraded PC. Manufacturers don't tend to go out of their way, to keep up with MS new products.

What made you decide to go with W8 anyway?

Sorry, I have no experience with your interface, but I am sure someone will have some direct advice. Best...

Well, I decided to go with 8 because I had been on XP and did not really want to let it go but figured I would jump to the newest so I would not have to worry about upgrading for another 3, 4 or even 5 years like I did with XP. Just figured with the newest OS they would at the very least have compatible drivers for older "FireWire" interfaces. go fig... ?? Who pays $100 bucks for an OS to have to revert to another OS that's older yet costs about the same? That sux

Yeah, that does suck. I wasted time with Vista, and was afraid to go to W7 for a while. W7 is absolutely stable in my experience now. I have heard some serious BS with W8. I would totally downgrade (upgrade) to W7, if I were in your situation. W7 Home Premium OEM is only $89 at B&H.

It sucks that Windows is not like Cubase, where you actually own the license to every previous version...

That's unlucky, Dark Star.
First rule of upgrading - Don't be a guinea pig. ;)

Yeah, like me with Cubase7! Though, I just solved all of the issues I had, with a simple procedure. Something that should have been caught/recommended/figured out by the developers.

As usual, it was a member of the forum that solved the problem. Steinberg never responded to my support question.

Beta testers are cheap. They are all of us that are willing to try the new stuff..................

But new toys are shiny!!! :D

Beta testers are cheap. They are all of us that are willing to try the new stuff..................

But new toys are shiny!!! :D

True as man.

Ha, I'm a total hypocrite. I'm running bang up to date Mountain Lion over here and spent half the week haggling for an upgrade to PT11, which I don't believe is out yet. :facepalm:

It looks like I'll be getting a copy and now I find out waves plugs aren't supported, at least not until they come up with AAX versions.
Of course any waves upgrade is a paid upgrade.

PT V10 for Steen then. :(

Yeah, that does suck. I wasted time with Vista, and was afraid to go to W7 for a while. W7 is absolutely stable in my experience now. I have heard some serious BS with W8. I would totally downgrade (upgrade) to W7, if I were in your situation. W7 Home Premium OEM is only $89 at B&H.

It sucks that Windows is not like Cubase, where you actually own the license to every previous version...

As a fellow advocate of PCs (I know Jimmy's on the same page as I am with 'em), I'm gonna have to agree the Microsoft screwed up bad with Windows 8. Get Windows 7, it's stable, fast, and works well.

Windows 8, however... xD

I should be cool found a work around. gonna see how it works. Once I feel confident enough to try it.

"firstly run cmd as administrator then type the following and enter/ exit
bcdedit -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
then follow these instructions from RME User Forum / Win8: For those needing the 1394 OHCI (Legacy) driver.
then install fw1884 exe by right click and choose properties/compatibility/then run the trouble shooter/troubleshoot program/tick worked in previous/tick win 7/run and load successfull."

So we'll see...

I was having lots of troubles with Windows 7. Had to get a Siig FireWire cArd with Texas Instruments chipset. Seems to be fine now. Windows drivers are not good and quite problematic.

Back