FireWire card with Analog Mixer

h2blink

i am looking for a soundcard to record on my laptop with. i currently have a Toshiba 3.0Ghz laptop with 512MB of ram (getting 1GB soon). I also have a Edirol PCR-50 Midi Controller i would like to run through the sound card. Ive been reading searching through the forum and concluded that either a FireWire or PCMCIA are the best type of connection to get for laptops. So what I'm basically asking for is some advice on Firewire cards. I will be using a mixer for all the inputs, so i just want a decent card that can hook the mixer up to.

Ive been looking at the
-M-Audio FireWire Solo (but its lacking the MIDI)
-M-Audio FastTrack Pro (not sure if its USB 2)

Any other suggestions? Thank You in advance.

ive was looking at the firebox before and it was out of my bidget right now. but ive decided not to half-a$$. i like the features of the firebox and also the edirol ua-25(ive read its good even tho its usb). and ive also been set on using a mixer as well, most likely a yamaha mg 16 channel. i will be recording one at a time. The only thing im worried about is when recording the drum set. I will be using a snare mic, kick mic and two over heads (eventually going to mic two toms) so how would i wire the mixer to the sound card? direct outs?

The MG mixers don't have direct outs, but you can use the inserts instead or the 4 main busses.

What you need is a soundcard with at least 4 inputs for drums

after researching some more, ive decided that the firepod is what im going to get. its a little more than i need right now and more money than i was planning on spending, but ill grow into it and wont need to upgrade for a while. In the future i might also get a small mixer for the drums. like a 6 or 8 channel mixer. but i think the firepod has everything im going to need out of a soundcard/interface. thanks for all your help.

Back