Firewire Audiophile on my P3-500 MHZ ?

robintone

Hi, i´m thinking of purchasing a m-audio firewire audiophile. My system is a Dell P3 - 500 MHZ with Windows XP (SP2). M-Audio says 500 MHZ is minimum. I wonder if this minimum is definitly enough for normal recordings (I´ll probably only do some 4 - 8 track recordings with only little vst effects going) Or are there still any problems possible ? I somewhere heard that the speed (the rpm) of the harddiskdrive is also important. Is that true ?
To have the firewire running i would also have to get a pcmcia-firewire interface. Are there any points to watch out ?
sorry for my funny english + thanx in advance :-)
Robin

Your system is extremely outdated. If I were you, I would upgrade my system before spending any more money on a peripheral like the Firewire Audiophile.

Running any firewire audio card with SP2...make sure you get the hotfix that addresses the problems of firewire and SP2 conflict

brzilian said:
Your system is extremely outdated. If I were you, I would upgrade my system before spending any more money on a peripheral like the Firewire Audiophile.

Yeah the system is outdated but it will run the firewire interface like they want too and you WILL be able to run more than 4-6 tracks with VST's on them...try about 15!

One says "no" the other "yes, of course" the third "just try" :-)
hm...
As i dont have the money for a new notebook right now, (I spent it for my second hand Dell and a bloody useless just-not-working-WAMI box), I want to avoid buying a card just for trying.
But maybe some more users will make me more confident about my "outdated" setup.
Thank you anyway to all the guys above !
Robin

My old comp was a p3 500, 512Mb ram running a audiophile 24/96 with a copy of Cubase SE and I could run up to 18 tracks with VST's, the only difference is the 24/96 I use is a PCI card.

and yes, hard drive speed does play a big part.....it is a big part in how many tracks you will be able to run....i added a second 7200rpm drive for that purpose
so i regularly had 16-24 tracks running.....what my cpu did limit was the amount of plugins i used and softsynths.....

Thank you gidge, this is interesting facts to me !
Actually i dont plan to use any plug-ins. i prefer analog hardware effect-inserting. If this works :-)
One more question to the Harddiscdrive speed:
Does this mean, i need two drives in general, or just one drive which has 7200 rpm ?
Robin

It's generally considered best not to record audio to your applications drive. Besides my C drive, I have 2 drives that are dedicated to media files.

Last edited:
aaah, ok !
So i also need to purchase a second drive :-(
But good to know !
Thank you very much for all of your advices and i think i going to give the m-audiophile a try. Wish me good luck ! :-)
Robin

Back