Feedback/Noise from Behringer Xenyx 1204 and Behringer USB recording interface

Sumarongi

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, please bear with me if I am out of line or have missed some obvious information somewhere.

I am a keyboard player and I am doing simple stereo recording of direct input from a single keyboard. I connect the keyboard to the mixer, and use the aux output of the mixer to the Behringer USB recording interface. On the computer I am using audacity, which I have never had any issues with.

As soon as I set up to record I see noise/feedback on the Audacity input meter. It shows about -36 Db, and if I listen to it back it sounds like a fairly high pitched feedback tone along with some hiss/noise.

I went back through the chain and found:

1.The interface/computer with NOTHING plugged into it produces what seems to be the same tone, but reduced to an input meter reading of about about -48 Db on the input meter.

2. As soon as I plug the RCA cable into the Xenyx (turned off at this point), the noise/hiss level jumps up to about -42 Db on the input meter.

3. As soon as I turn on the Xenyx (all sliders zeroed out) the noise/hiss level jumps up to about -36 Db on the input meter.

I found this all very confusing, so I installed Audacity on my gaming computer and plugged everything in. I get the exact same result, which seems to indicate the problem is definitely the Behringer recording interface and perhaps the Xenyx contributes as well.

Is there anyone out there recording with the Xenyx and supplied USB interface successfully?

Do I need to buy another recording interface, and which one would any of you recommend? I only need the single stereo channel, not multi-tracking, nothing fancy at all. The very simplistic Behringer interface would be perfect if it didn't produce this huge amount of noise.

Thanks in advance for your help in sorting this issue out.

... 1.The interface/computer with NOTHING plugged into it produces what seems to be the same tone, but reduced to an input meter reading of about about -48 Db on the input meter...
That sorta narrows it down to the interface or computer (or USB ?
Have you searched to see if this problem's known' or out there?

I have searched around and I think primarily I found out that no one that is serious about recording is going to use a Behringer $30 recording interface.

I have decided to go with the path of least resistance and buy a new M-Audio recording interface and see where that goes. At least there will be an active population and associated forums so if there are any problems there will be a source of information.

My 1-time experience with a Xenyx mixer with USB showed it was noisy as hell. It also seems that most USB-equipped mixers have a high-pitched whine if you turn up the USB level too high. Get a dedicated audio interface.

Back