Extra Screen for the mixer

coben

Hi,
I work with Cubase on a Lenovo laptop. Not much screen space. I've heard that a lot of people hook up an extra screen and keep the mixer over there. Sounds great to me.

How do I do this?

Thanks

All going well, it should be simple:

1 Buy a monitor with a VGA input
2 buy a VGA cable
3 Connect VGA cable to VGA output on Lenova and to VGA input on monitor
4 Turn everything on
5 Get into graphics properties on the Lenova to configure the screen how you want it to behave.

However, this assumes the Lenova has a VGA output on it. If not, you would have to get a USB to VGA adaptor.

Aha! Possible cheap solution coming up!
Try the Lenovo into a flat screen telly (as Gecks says, this assumes a VGA out on the lappy but I have never had one without and this HP i3 g6 is 6 yrs ish old and also has HDMI out)

I say "try" because there could be issues. TVs can be fine for general computer/web work but loose stuff off the screen edges on DAWs. The video card control panel MIGHT be able to fix this or a geometry control in the TV but try before you buy. I have a desktop driving a cheap 22" wide screen TV and Cubase jeeeust fits.

Yes, the ultimate resolution is poorer than a good monitor but I find easily good enough for audio, maybe not for your ultimate gamer?

In the same park as resolution is the fact that the TV is unlikely to handle all the scanning modes of the Lenovo. This matters not a jot for normal use but if you need to run certain diagnostics you would have to revert to the inbuilt screen. Or you can pickup monitors very cheaply from charity shops. I have had two form my local Heart Foundation, nothing super but allows me to run diogs.

In fact I am about to do this with this 15" HP. My eye is now so bad that I have to have email at 150% zoom and that causes a lot of very irritating scrolling.

Dave.

Back