From experience - What is the best Sound Editing/Recording Software?

radiogold

When you’re ready to take the plunge and purchase the all important Sound Editing/Recording Software Package. Which one is the best. From my own experience, Sound Forge 4.5.

I have tried all the major Sound Recording/Sound Editing programs and found that Sound Forge 4.5 is the best Software ever. This package is my SOUND EDITING BIBLE!. I’d be lost without it. I payed $220 American for it brand new on ebay. Pricey I know. But every penny was worth it. Sound Forge has an excellent array of processing features. I mainly bought it, because it records directly to hard-drive. Interface is very simple.

Sound Forges Functionality is so much more superior to Cakewalk and Cool Edit. As well as having the standard functions, It can also handle a multitue of Audio File Formats including converting MP3s into WAVs.

With Sound Forge, You can clean up messy MP3s, normalise soft sounding MP3s, add base and treble to MP3s that have become abit battered from sharing. I love this function as I work in radio. You can put 15-20 MP3 tracks on a CD and normalise them all to the same peak level. Sound Forge can change a good quality MP3 into a near master sound. I don't know how Sound Forge does it. I've made about ten CD's of MP3s. All of them encoded into wave with Sound-Forge, About 80% of the tracks sound almost alike CD's pressed by record-companies. Sound Forge has the cleanest sound when converting files from format to format.

Cool Edit 2000 is also a great program. Although I have the full operating version of this. I have turned off it as it has crashed a few times. Cool Edit can become unstable. I’ve never had this problem with Sound Forge. I’m currently using a 433mhz computer with 64Mg ram on a windows 98 system. I found Steinberg clean a big disappointment. It’s processing tools gave my recordings a lot of mid-rage and low-rage distortion. The Wavlab Studio that came with it was also vary flimsy to operate. You really had to be careful with your mouse. It doesn’t have that finer precision handling like Sound Forge. One slip and you have lost your selection. If you make this mistake with sound forge, you can at least go to undo to bring back your selection. I briefly looked at Cakewalk. I found this program both very complex with it’s interface and operation. I’ve left this one well alone. I think Cakewalk is more suited for multi-tracking purposes.

A question that many people would like to know is “What is the best Sound Recording/Editing Package and why? What experiences have others had with different packages—good and bad?

Mark.

In what ways does 4.5 differ from 7.0. I recently got a hold of 7.0 mainly because it was the latest, and not too expensive for me... I hope I didn't make a mistake, because it seems usually the newest is the most improved and up-to-date product. It may be just me though, I'm new to this ;)

I also own Adobe Audition 1.5. Adobe bought out the creators of Cool Edit, and pretty much took the product, gave it an Adobe logo, and fixed it in huge ways. Its the same program essentially. As a newbie to recording, I can say that Adobe Audition 1.5 is by far the most user-friendly and newbie-friendly. If being newbie-friendly is a good thing or not to someone with lots of experience, it may not be the best afterall...

I think you and I can both agree that Avid Pro Tools is the best. But I can tell you the price ISNT the best :) Its deffinitly most professional, and highest quality, but I have seen it in my dad's client's studios and it is just baffling to look at and try and decipher what the hell everything means... But, hey, if Steven Speilburg uses it, it cant be bad...

I really have no say in this, mainly because I have no experience, just had to throw in my 2 cents =)

The "Best Sound Editing Package" is:

Whatever works best for YOU.

Everything in computing boils down to what fits into your workflow...
and that very often is a highly subjective choice.

TimOBrien said:
The "Best Sound Editing Package" is:

Whatever works best for YOU.

Everything in computing boils down to what fits into your workflow...
and that very often is a highly subjective choice.

Amen.

We don't need another manning in this forum shoving one particular program down everybody's throat.

brzilian said:
Amen.

We don't need another manning in this forum shoving one particular program down everybody's throat.

what free n tracks @ 16 bit isn't the way to go?

I use Nuendo, Because I like it. Thats Steinburg.

I have protools and Samplitude, The reason I wont use samplitude is because i get an error when trying to record with my hammerfall DSP and when Called them they bounced me all over the united states and i endedup leaving a message, and never got an answer or call back.

I am just relieved that this guy got his question answered, even if it took 4 years. ;)

date of original post: 4/25/2001

scrubs said:
I am just relieved that this guy got his question answered, even if it took 4 years. ;)

date of original post: 4/25/2001
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHA thats great!

Back