Event EZBus

Barclay

I ran a search on the boards, but couldn't find much discussion about the Event Electronics EZBus (http://www.event1.com), which is surprising, given that it is a pretty intriguing piece of gear.

I'm looking for anyone who has experience with the unit. I've read all I can get my hands on, and it seems pretty compelling, but I have my doubts about the company and the quality.

I'm just in the process of putting together a home studio based on a P4 DAW with Cubase, and I've got about a grand to spend on a soundcard. My recording needs are pretty basic as a mostly non-MIDI-using singer-songwriter, but I want to plan for the future with band recording etc.

I'm torn betwen the MOTU 828, the Event EZBus, and the Aardvark Q10. Of course, if I got the EZBus I would also have to buy a PCI card with ADAT in/out to expand the 2 channels in/out that USB allows.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

BB

these 'soundcards' aren't really designed to do the same thing...which has the best return policy?

I take it you aren't a fan of any of the units I mentioned?

To the extent that they are all designed to help me get high-quality audio into my computer, then I'm interested. I realize they all take a different approach.

I wanted to try and avoid buying both a card and an external mixer, at least at first, to try and stay under $1000 bucks. But, I haven't priced out either of those units, so I'll take a look.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Initially, only up to three (stereo guitar and vocal), although I could also get away with just two. However, I the future I want the option of recording with other musicians. I realize I could easily get in under a grand if I bought the Digidesign, Edirol, Soundstream etc. 2x2 boxes, but it seems like a better investment to buy something now that will scale for the future.

EZbus hands on

Hi there

I've used EZbus myself with PIII PC and Cubase. This a piece of a gear - I liked it a lot actually. It might be not an ideal computer audiointerface (to mention USB) but it has 2 digital outs + ADAT Optical. For me it's an ideal unit to use for my band recordings, rehearsals and even gigs. It has a lot of hidden features inside like instant mix recall or surface control function.

And a piece of history: EZbus was introduced around 2 years ago, but these guys at Event were not satisfied with the tests and completely redesigned it including new functions.

As of cons I can only mention the USB unstability on some OS's and that EZbus i compatible only with Windows ME or XP and MAc OS 10.3. Ask your questions:)

EZBus hands on

Hey Batat, thanks a lot for the response, and for offering to answer more questions.

Here are some questions I have:

1. What about customer service/warranty stuff? Event seems like a small company and their website isn't very impressive. Have you had to contact them, and if so, what were they like?

2. Given the limitations of USB, I was planning on only using the USB connection to send MIDI data for an outboard MIDI keyboard controller and for the MIDI control surface information. Then, I was planning on using the 8 in/out through ADAT for actual audio recording. Is this what you are doing?

Does it work well?

If so, what ADAT PCI card are you using?

3. I was unable to clearly ascertain what the bit depth/rate is when using the ADAT. It seems like ADAT is limited to 24 bits/48 hz. Is that correct?

4. What is your opinion of the onboard mic pres?

5. Have you had any problems with it co-existing with other PCI cards you have installed?

6. Do you have any samples of recordings you made with the EZBus available?

Sorry for the barrage!

BB

but it seems like a better investment to buy something now that will scale for the future.
Something to keep in mind is that if you get something with ADAT i/o, you can grab an Alesis AI-3 to instantly give you 8 more channels of i/o.
compatible only with .... MAc OS 10.3.
I was under the impression that the current OS revision was 10.1.

Hey Barcley,

I can try to offer some insight on the EZBus since I just got one. Let me start out by saying that I have not truely been able to use it yet because I am still in the process of getting my system setup.

I actually have my thrid unit. The first two had very noisy power supplies, but I think that this was a fluke. I worked with Event's support and they were very thourough in taking care of me.

The main reason I purchased it was for a control surface for my Cubase. As it turns out, I ordered my computer with Windows 2000 only to find out that the control surface feature can only wour with ME (i believe) and XP. So I had to upgrade my OS. After numerous emails back and forth, I am finally at the point where I can setup Cubase to test the control surface part of it.

I have also hooked it up as a mixer to control the volume going to my powered monitors due to the fact that it is a little harder to do software wise with my sound card control panal (Delta 1010). The one thing I noticed off the bat is that when hooked up this way, there is a noticable hiss that is added with the EZBus. When I have the outs for the 1010 going to direct to my monitors, it is dead quite. What this tells my is that if I use the anolog outs of the EZBus and send them through my soundcard that the hiss will be included in the recorded signal.

I have not tested it as a computer interface and tried recording via USB yet, so I don't know if the hiss will be audable that way or not. I also have not had the chance to use the pre's in it yet so I can't comment on them. For the most part, I will not be using them since I have a dedicated pre.

With reference to your third question, I do beleive that all digital I/O will go to 24/96.

On question 5, There are a couple of instances that I noticed where after installing the EZBus, that it took over where sound is routed. For instance, before installing it, I could paly a cd or mp3 and it would be sent through the 1010. noew it is routed the the USB to the EZBus. In a way, this is not all bad because I can control the volume with the master fader, but it intoduces the hiss.

I know there are still questions that I cannot answer due to not having the chance to try it yet, but as I stated this stuff is new to me (including my computer) and it is not easy getting everything setup and running. I have been working on this stuff for a couple of weeks now and haven't even been able to start recording a song yet. One thing to point out is that I have also had a lot of other things going on that has hampered me from spending the time. You know, wife, job, church, that kind of stuff. But I think I am finally starting to hone in on things that I can start having some fun.

Why should be Aardvark Q10 not as good as a Soundcard and Mixer combo? I've read some good reviews of this card and people were surprised by the quality of the preamps. Has anyone experiences with recording directly to the soundcard and through a mixer? Can you compare...

JC, thanks a lot for your detailed feedback.

I'd like to hear about your results once you get some more time to play with your gear!

BB

Will do barclay,

It is infortunate, but the last couple of weeks have been pretty hectic with commitments, problems with setting up my system, and a wife who thinks she is starting to forget what I look like (not all my fault because she has been working a lot of hours lately (but that doesn't matter because the wife is always right!!!)). this whole thing has been frustrating to me because I want to start recording and haven't gotten that far yet.

Peace
Joe

You may want to also check out the Roland studio pack. It is the VM3100 digital mixer, RBUS card, and Logic Silver (win 98 only).

You get 8x8 recording (although only 2 mic preamps, you can add outboards as you need them), a mixer and effects and a midi control surface.

It's a pretty slick package for only $700. They also have a Pro version due to come out but I dont know the price.

Roland Digital Mixers

Thanks, guys, they look like interesting products (at least from what I was able to tell from the poorly-translated German page!)

I wonder of the newer mixer is available in North America yet?

BB

The regular Roland system is just a digital mixer and card. It comes with a lite version of Logic but will work with any software. It comes with templates in Logic and the Roland so they work together with minimal setup. There are templates for Sonar and Cubase also.

It also has midi ports on the mixer so you dont need a seperate midi card either.

The VM3100 is not the end all of digital mixers but for doing demos it is an amazing package. Word of warning - the mixer is not easy to use right away so dont get it if you dont like to read manuals.

The main diferences bewteen the Pro and regular version seem to be:

Pro-
24/96
8 xlr
surround sound
Motorized faders
no hardware fx or compressor
newer OS support

Regular-
24/48
2 xlr
no surround