Eurorack UB1202 mixer to sound card of computer

esteely

Hello - I'm curious as to how to effectively set up my Eurorack UB120 to my computer sound card to record into my DAW (Reaper). I know that an audio interface would be a better way...but until I acquire the funds to get one, I'm trying to make do with what I have. I've had this working on my older systems but cannot seem to get it to work correctly with Windows 10 Pro. I currently have my computer monitors connected to the Control Room Outs on the ub1202. The tape out of mixer is connected to the line in of sound card. The tape in of mixer is connected to line out of sound card. This connection is y split (Tape input of mixer/computer speaker system (not studio monitors). I'm having problems with not being able to keep the playback track from coming into my armed recording track. If I depress the tape to mix then I hear no audio from the track in the DAW that I need to hear to record with. If anybody has experienced this sort of problem and knows how to solve it, I would greatly appreciate and welcome any comments on how to do so. (Until I get my interface)! I've attached a couple of pics. Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_1575.JPG
    IMG_1575.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1576.JPG
    IMG_1576.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 7
The computer jacks usually work fine with reaper. The recording track has to be set to pass the incoming signal.

Hello - I'm curious as to how to effectively set up my Eurorack UB120 to my computer sound card to record into my DAW (Reaper). I know that an audio interface would be a better way...but until I acquire the funds to get one, I'm trying to make do with what I have. I've had this working on my older systems but cannot seem to get it to work correctly with Windows 10 Pro. I currently have my computer monitors connected to the Control Room Outs on the ub1202. The tape out of mixer is connected to the line in of sound card. The tape in of mixer is connected to line out of sound card. This connection is y split (Tape input of mixer/computer speaker system (not studio monitors). I'm having problems with not being able to keep the playback track from coming into my armed recording track. If I depress the tape to mix then I hear no audio from the track in the DAW that I need to hear to record with. If anybody has experienced this sort of problem and knows how to solve it, I would greatly appreciate and welcome any comments on how to do so. (Until I get my interface)! I've attached a couple of pics. Thanks!!

On the face of it, it looks like the set up good.

1 Speakers and phones connected to control room outputs.

2 Mix to computer via rec out. And you could use the main outs as an alternative.

3 Computer back to mixer via rec in.

What you do need to do, which I can't tell from the pix, is to make sure that the 2-tr to control room button is pressed, and that the 2-tr to mix button is not pressed.

You may need to have software monitoring enabled in the DAW.

Thanks for your reply! I'll dig around in my DAW for some info. Pressing "tape to control room" takes the guitar out of everything. Depressing it adds the guitar. Pressing "Tape to Mix" adds guitar and backing music I want to record with. But that's not desired for recording because I'm not needing the backing track in my recorded track. I'm needing to hear the backing track and not have it record along with my playing. Worked on my older computer...but I've upgraded a bit and it may be something with the newer computer. Probably wind up getting an interface instead of messing around with this. But I would think I could get this to work some how or another. Thanks again!!

Thanks for your reply! I'll dig around in my DAW for some info. Pressing "tape to control room" takes the guitar out of everything. Depressing it adds the guitar. Pressing "Tape to Mix" adds guitar and backing music I want to record with. But that's not desired for recording because I'm not needing the backing track in my recorded track. I'm needing to hear the backing track and not have it record along with my playing. Worked on my older computer...but I've upgraded a bit and it may be something with the newer computer. Probably wind up getting an interface instead of messing around with this. But I would think I could get this to work some how or another. Thanks again!!

Here are a few more thoughts.

1 Guitar is going through mixer, right? And backing track is on computer?

2 If you play guitar through mixer, you can't hear it unless you leave tape to control room unpressed, correct?

3 If that is the case, it's a bit unfortunate, because you really want guitar going into mixer, and track coming from computer to go to control room. And you don't want track coming from computer to go into the mixer along with the guitar. That you can't do it is a lack of routing flexibility in the mixer.

4 However, there may be a workaround using the FX send.

5 For whatever channel the guitar is in, turn the FX send up to roughly the same level as the channel level. Press the FX to CR button. This routes the guitar signal into the control room. Then press 'tape to CR' and unpress 'tape to mix'.

6 The effect of this should be that (a) guitar goes into main mix and CR, then via tape outs to Computer. Backing track goes from computer to CR via Tape in, and thereofre doesn't get into the mix going back to the PC.

Here are a few more thoughts.

1 Guitar is going through mixer, right? And backing track is on computer? Correct.

2 If you play guitar through mixer, you can't hear it unless you leave tape to control room unpressed, correct? Correct.

3 If that is the case, it's a bit unfortunate, because you really want guitar going into mixer, and track coming from computer to go to control room. And you don't want track coming from computer to go into the mixer along with the guitar. That you can't do it is a lack of routing flexibility in the mixer.

4 However, there may be a workaround using the FX send.

5 For whatever channel the guitar is in, turn the FX send up to roughly the same level as the channel level. Press the FX to CR button. This routes the guitar signal into the control room. Then press 'tape to CR' and unpress 'tape to mix'.

6 The effect of this should be that (a) guitar goes into main mix and CR, then via tape outs to Computer. Backing track goes from computer to CR via Tape in, and thereofre doesn't get into the mix going back to the PC.

This works ...but the guitar now only comes out of the headphones and the backing track comes out of the monitors! :) Thanks for your help....that's the closest I've got yet!!

I have my pc speakers y'd into the line out along with the tape in. That seems to be the only way I can get the guitar into the computer and back out. I have studio monitors that are plugged into the control room out. I switched them around...but the same problem.

I have my pc speakers y'd into the line out along with the tape in. That seems to be the only way I can get the guitar into the computer and back out. I have studio monitors that are plugged into the control room out. I switched them around...but the same problem.

I've just looked at the schematic for the 1202, and what I had hoped would be the workaround is not to be. That's because switching in the FX bus into the CR switches off anything else.

What we need to work out, because of the limited CR inputs, is to get both the mixer's main out (the stuff you are recording) and hte PC's output (the stuff you've already recorded) into the Tape In, and have that switched to the CR.

From the circuit diagram I can't see a way of doing this.

I've just looked at the schematic for the 1202, and what I had hoped would be the workaround is not to be. That's because switching in the FX bus into the CR switches off anything else.

What we need to work out, because of the limited CR inputs, is to get both the mixer's main out (the stuff you are recording) and hte PC's output (the stuff you've already recorded) into the Tape In, and have that switched to the CR.

From the circuit diagram I can't see a way of doing this.

I really appreciate your help and effort looking into this Mr. Grumpy! I spent all weekend making every connection that I could possibly think of... to no avail. I had an older pc that I could get it to work on some how, but I've got a newer one (still not new) with Windows 10 on it, but it doesn't seem to like it. So, I'll just probably start saving my cash for a decent audio interface...(or a better mixer) Got any suggestions on either?? Thanks again for all your help!!

I have the manual for the Xenix 1002fx/1202fx right here, along with the 1002fx block diagram. I remember I went through the Behringer example setup and thought it was a crock. Anyway, in my manual, it says the tape out parallels the main out - but it seemed there was something screwy about this tape loop

My realtek onboard came with a virtual "record what you hear" driver enabled. That allows anything playing to show up on the record channel

Back