Equipment and Software compatibility and system improvements

chordaroys

Hi

Looking for some advice on upgrading of my set up. I've had stuff in storage for a while and it's time to dust it off and get recording again.

I have a Mac 2.4 Ghz Intel Core @ Duo, 4 Gb of memory, OsX 10.5.8, Digi 003 rack, Logic 8, Apogee mini-me, external hard drives, dynaudio Bm6a mKll monitors, numerous guitars and midi instruments.
Currently looking at a Presonus Firestudio 26/26 ($100 on ebay) to expand via ADAT.

Some questions..
If I was to upgrade OsX and Logic is there any compatibility issues I need to be aware of?
If I was to change any hardware what would be a priority (how could i best improve my setup for under $4000?)

Thanking assistance/advice in advance.

Regards

Chord

Hey Chord

I recently upgraded to os 10.6 (snow leopard) and Logic 9 & I was dreading all the issues normally associated with upgrading with weeks of downtime reinstalling everything.
But rather than doing a clean install of the OS, I just ran the snow leopard installer on top of OS 10.5.8 and it brought me up to 10.6 without a problem!
The Logic 9 installer did what it needed to do as well.
No problems! Was up and running in a day! :listeningmusic:

I'm using 2 MOTU interfaces connected by PCI-e 424 card - 2408mk3 and a 24i/o all integrated seamlessly with support from MOTU with new drivers for intel machines.
Also using an E-MAGIC AMT8 MIDI device with the same driver I was using back in os 10.4.11!

I also have an MBox2 with PT LE8 for session transfers from other more pro studios.
Unless you have the ability to track everything at your place, definitely keep a version of protools hanging around so that you can easily take sessions from other studios
running PT Le or HD and bring them into your environment. Makes editing & rendering takes into seamless tracks before exporting for use in Logic a breeze and you're not paying for studio time to do this work in someone else's studio.

Best of luck with your upgrade

Dags

Cheers Dags

Good point re the PT compatibility. I used PTLE when I had the 001. Took on Logic for the challenge and then life got in the way and I haven't recorded/composed for a while. Now I wish I had kept up the efforts because I feel like I'm starting all over again. Such is life.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Chord

upgrading from OSX 10.5 to 10.6 with logic 8 is absolutely fine but i made the rookie mistake of going from 10.6 to 10.7 (lion) and logic 8 isn't supported anymore under 10.7 and had to shell out for Logic 9 then run all the updates get it to logic 9.1.6 before lion was happy. saying that, it's all fine now :)

in terms of stuff to upgrade, i agree about at least keeping a copy of PT's just incase but otherwise the firestudio used or the berhinger ADA8000 for some extra optical in's would be sweet

Thanks Justsomeguy,

I have been reading about Logic 9 and because I am a guitarist I'm interested in the modelling, guitar effects etc. Seems to be oriented towards that. Having said that I have a Roland VG99 which I got a handle on a while back and now that has to be dusted off and relearnt as well. However at this stage it would be good just to start doing some tracking again.

Thanks again.

Chord

tbh, i wasn't hugely fussed about it as a feature, i just wanted a working copy of logic :( saying that, now i have it i do use it amp and pedal sims every now and then. the guitar amp and pedal board modelling in Logic 9 is pretty good imo. not the best sounding modelling software out there but much easier to use than most and takes the approach of just using one amp, one mic at a time rather than a million other variables which i find can make other modelling plugs a bit of a pain in the arse. the pedal board is also super simple and i've found the tape delay pedal to be very useful.

also, the flex time is badass :D

aside from that, the only noticeable differences from 8 are just tiny things, such as note pad at the bottom of the mixer, highlighting which window you're clicked in with a green line around it, and other tiny bits. if you can use logic 8 you'll have no problems with 9 :)

Cool, thanks mate. At this stage I think in retrospect I will be just trying to get the priorities sorted and if I maintain the rage upgrade then.

I think I read somewhere that OS 10.6 gave better access to the duel chips in logic. I notice that only one bar is engaged in the transport window when logic is doing its number crunching.

Chord

Back