The end of Cakewalk Sonor...and Cakewalk for that matter.

I just found out about it a couple of minutes ago. Wow. Cakewalk has been around since the beginning days of this all.

It's ironic that the first Cakewalk thread here from 1999 is titled "CW death".

Well, that really suks. Here's more info: HERE

Cakewalk Pro Audio 6.xxx was my first DAW. I would sync it to a Roland hard disk recorder. I recorded the audio tracks on the Roland unit, while Cakewalk served as a sequencer for the MIDI gear I was running back then. It worked pretty well.

I guess it happens, I just went through this with Sony Vegas and Magix last year. I was a faithful Vegas user for many years and when Magix bought them they really did not seen interested in keeping Vegas going as a DAW. They are full speed ahead as a video editor but couldn't care less about audio only users. After much research I switched to Reaper and only use Vegas to layout CD projects. My versions still work really well for that but it is all I use it for.

The Grim REAPER has been looming over all the "OTHER" daws for years LONG LIVE REAPER!

It's crazy that the first digital recording I ever did was really midi recording with Cakewalk in 1987 ...I was working with a bass player that was a programmer /dos nerd who implemented it into what we were doing ...of course all the audio was actually recorded to analog tape from the midi to module stuff ...had a Korg m3r wild shit......I had purchased a used Kurzweil K250 which I believe was the first MIDI keyboard and off we went it was damn complicated and all that typing OY! Sure wasn't for the faint of heart...wasn't until windows 95 came along that I took my first dive into building a recording PC...by then we had cool stuff like the Soundblaster AWE 32, sound fonts and Digital Orchestrator...wow!..... and now...what an awesome never ending evolution of ways to make music...

I still have a 50 quid version of Cakewalk Sonar. I could never get on with it, seemed to take such a faff and paraphernalia just to get a Vi working!

Son used it for MIDI work for a bit but one thing? We could never work out how to export MIDI data? The was a box but it was always greyed out. He just used to run the song in real time and shunt the data out of a 2496 via DIN to another PC with Cubase.

Dave.

Wow! I had no idea Gibson had bought Cakewalk from Roland? I used to use Cakewalk with a SoundBlaster system which is still sitting in the garage 20 years later! At the time Cakewalk was only a midi sequencer. You couldn't even put in note values smaller than 16th notes for a while, but we didn't care back then. Too bad...

The Grim REAPER has been looming over all the "OTHER" daws for years LONG LIVE REAPER!

I seriously doubt Reaper is the reason behind Cakewalk's demise. :D

Reaper is big on the home-rec front, mainly because it's cheap...but there are still a lot of other DAWs out there that have been around long before Reaper came along to "borrow" features and layouts from them.
People aren't really jumping ship from what I've seen.

Back in the day Gibson bought Opcode and killed StudioVision Pro and killed it off. I never got to do anything but demo the program but the little experience I did have was very positive. You have to wonder about MOTU also. So many decent programs have died out

I seriously doubt Reaper is the reason behind Cakewalk's demise. :D

Yeah I was just kinda jokin around Miro.

Cakewalk was at the forefront of daws so it is kind of sad to see it go...as we trudge forward technologically everything we think is awesome and "the best" will seem like blood letting with leeches in 20 years. Protools trying to squeeze every dollar they can while they can has completely changed their business model. To me ( and this is just conjecture) indicates that though Protools is absolutely the "industry standard" today this new subscription model they have forced on their long time customers is the first death rattle of what is fast becoming, with the advent of new technology and processing power, yesterdays news.

Here's a great article on Technology that discusses Moores law ( processing power doubles every 18 months ) and some predictions from Ray Kurzweil...(yep the guy the made the first REAL SOUNDING digital piano)

Last edited:
Yeah I was just kinda jokin around Miro.

I know...but I've seen the Reaper argument on other sites, and noted that while it's a good DAW app with plenty of users, it's not killing off other DAWs. There's too many personal tastes involved as to what makes something a "good DAW" to each user.

Funny about the Vegas thing...I've been a Vegas user for a long time, but also a Samplitude user.
So when Magix scooped up most of Sony's audio/video apps...Vegas, Sonic Foundry (which Sony scooped up awhile back)...it kinda left me in the middle of things. I really love my Samplitude ProX...but I'm not sure now which way to go on Vegas.
Magix keeps sending me endless emails to upgrade...though lately I haven't been doing much with video stuff to warrant a real upgrade. I still have my Vegas 8 version and DVD Architect which are getting old, but still work for basics.

I stayed at Sonar 8.5 something as it works very well for me (audio only for the most part here).

Thankfully -I believe I just confirmed, at least this proceeds updated revs that need links to The Muther Ship to keep them up and running!
There's a lot of talk about how to move forward.
I would hope owners would be given fixes to cut that leash at the very least!

This situation feels so, Analog LOL, gear slowly disappearing with no support. Tape machines, analog consoles, DAT machines, endless rack gear, even my early digital hardware. Some of this stuff costs 10,s of 1000's when bought, and it all still sounds great.

I have this problem with using software that worked fine on old windows but no longer works on 10 unless you spend more money on upgrades. I have a great old Layla rack mounted sound card that no longer works with anything after windows 2000. New computers don't even have the PCI slot for it.

Alan.

This situation feels so, Analog LOL, gear slowly disappearing with no support. Tape machines, analog consoles, DAT machines, endless rack gear, even my early digital hardware. Some of this stuff costs 10,s of 1000's when bought, and it all still sounds great.

I have this problem with using software that worked fine on old windows but no longer works on 10 unless you spend more money on upgrades. I have a great old Layla rack mounted sound card that no longer works with anything after windows 2000. New computers don't even have the PCI slot for it.

Alan.
I still use my G4 with a DIGI 001 and pro tools 5.3 cuz it has plug ins that I like and are no longer available or the company went belly up. If it works I try to use it. Sorry that sounded sententious. I'm just cheap:rolleyes:

Back in the olden days planned or engineered obsolescence was not so blatantly shoved down our throats...they'd lure us away not because what we had was useless but because "next years model was hipper, slicker and cooler.........but with software it makes it sooooooo easy for them to kill a 5 or 10 year old product...........sorry we don't support of that model anymore you'lll only have drivers for windows xp sorry..

A 1950's Hammond organ with all it's intricacies can still be used today...I have been liquidating gear that "isn't supported anymore" and very much minimizing gear that relies on software as much as I can...as keyboardist I'm stuck knowing that in about 3 years I'll have to dump the keys I have now a Nord Electro 4 and Yamaha MOX for newer gear so it will be supported ...just the way shit goes now...

A 1950's Hammond organ with all it's intricacies can still be used today...I have been liquidating gear that "isn't supported anymore" and very much minimizing gear that relies on software as much as I can...as keyboardist I'm stuck knowing that in about 3 years I'll have to dump the keys I have now a Nord Electro 4 and Yamaha MOX for newer gear so it will be supported ...just the way shit goes now...

My Hammond L from around '65 is still running strong.
So is my 2" Otari tape deck from the late '80s...like my Trident from that same period, and having recently overhauled it, I should see another 20 years out of it at least.

I've got a few other vintage pieces that are working fine, or need just a bit of overhaul to get them back to spec.

Try that with some old piece of software that is no longer supported and can't run on any current OS because there aren't any drivers. You can't do anything with it except by a new version of it or toss it....or if you still have some old computer hardware, you might be able to use it, but then you're stuck, 'cuz all the new software you have won't run on the old hardware.

That's the one thing I really hate about the computer upgrade tango...you run out and upgrade the hardware, and suddenly you need to also upgrade a whole lot of software too...or vice versa...and you're lucky if you can even do either of those things successfully where you don't end up losing anything in the process that won't/can't be upgraded...and that's just basic computer use. For us audio guys, it's even more of a PITA when you throw in the interfaces and anything else that goes with them. It can be a disastrous domino effect just from changing one key piece in your digital rig.

Not to mention, even the stuff you CAN upgrade "successfully"...it can be worse than getting a root canal and colonoscopy, simultaneously, and without any anesthesia.
It seems that just when you have all your hardware/software configured and running smoothly...something new comes out that triggers the upgrade tango all over again if you want to stay 100% current.

It's a good thing that I don't dance. lol! Especially the tango...

Guess I lucked out starting my home studio with W7/Cubase and mostly ITB plugs. I do envy the analog recording ability you have Miro. It has been 20+ years since I was in a studio with that. Nothing really compares to that tape sound.

I think when people buy and see companies, it rarely works for the users. I've given up with Magic too - but for me it was Sony CD Architect and of course Sound Forge/Sony Sound Forge, which I really liked. Now as an Adobe CC user I'm using Audition, which I just don't like so much. I spent a fortune on a virtual studio system from a company called Serious Magic, then Adobe bought them and I think all they wanted was the chroma keyer - all my virtual studio sets are now obsolete as the authentication servers have been switched off. There was a fudge for a while, but I've not got this working on the latest windows.

Cakewalk ending does seem sad for their dedicated users - just how it is nowadays!

Back