The end of Cakewalk Sonor...and Cakewalk for that matter.

Guess I lucked out starting my home studio with W7/Cubase and mostly ITB plugs. I do envy the analog recording ability you have Miro. It has been 20+ years since I was in a studio with that. Nothing really compares to that tape sound.

I too settled down with my computer rig...and have resisted the urge to endlessly upgrade.
It's an older quad-core tower, and still running Win7....but I have everything I could possibly want in software, and my old PCI interfaces are still rockin', so I have no need to upgrade any time soon.
It would take a complete system failure to force a major upgrade, but I have an identical spare tower...so I think I'm good to go for quite some time.

AFA the analog gear...I stuck with it for awhile when the digital craze first started because I wanted to be an analog purist ("I hate digital" and all that nonsense)...but my day gig with video and computers is what pushed me more and more into digital audio...and eventually I came to this hybrid studio setup.
So now I don't cling to the analog stuff for some "analog purist" reasons, but rather because analog gear gives me another set of tools, and ones that many folks can't or wouldn't ever experience, especially in the home rec world.
You can certainly cover a lot of ground with a DAW and plugs...but analog tape and console, and that whole working mentality of using physical gear, certainly adds a lot to the sonic palette, and it's really is pretty cool too. :)

Because Pro Tools is used by so many people, I have paid the yearly ransom to stay current current and compatible. But as a guitar player, I love the sounds I get out of logic and can’t remember the last time I had to pay a dime for an upgrade.

That leaves a few old timers still standing. I just would like to see SONY revamped / updated to eliminate their fear of being accused of Piracy. Much could be accomplish by the users.

That's unfortunate, I'm a long time Cakewalk/Sonar user (currently happily using Sonar X3). Thankfully I never bit on the fully digital upgrade to the newer version, as mine was working fine and doing what I needed. I'm curious how they can sell subscriptions / licensing for a product and not 'support' it with updates. There must be some funny language written into their TOS, or they're opening themselves up to lawsuits.

Now my existing plan is even more solid - wait until Windows 7 is fully retired by Micro$oft and then shop around for my next DAW. Looks like I have until 2020 to decide, unless a Windows update breaks X3 between now and then.

Last edited:
Now my existing plan is even more solid - wait until Windows 7 is fully retired by Micro$oft and then shop around for my next DAW. Looks like I have until 2020 to decide, unless a Windows update breaks X3 between now and then.

If you run your DAW offline...2020 is irrelevant. :)

Yeah, I figured that...but if you don't want to deal with a complete upgrade scenario, you could simply add another computer in 2020, and leave the DAW offline.

Mine is a dedicated DAW...and I'll be running it with Win 7 well after 2020, as long as there is no hardware failure that pushes an upgrade. I've got everything I need in software, and I'm sure I'll pick up a few more thing between now and 2020...so it won't be an issue when all Win 7 support is dropped in 3 years.

My studio computers are never on line, I still have windows xp pro as the main machine.

I might still be on XP myself, but it got to the point where some apps I wanted, didn't run on XP...so I went to 7.
That's what happens...you decide to add one new thing that isn't supported...and it forces you to bump everything up.
Like I said...now I'm overloaded with apps, and I can't see anything coming out that only runs on 10 for at least 3-4 more years, and even then, I doubt it will be something I have to have. Already have too many plugs. :D

That is the craziness of software just like processing and storage keep doubling every 18 months so does software and apps....Next years model is always going to be tempting and we can hold out maybe forever with our current set ups...but it isn't a matter of if, it is a matter of when the Hard drive will fail, mother board will fry etc etc and at that point it's just easy to say screw it, I surrender....woo hoo here we go again.

I've had a ton of "stuff" to make the most amazing recordings that never were made...I am in minimalise / simplify mode big time. Getting rid of all kinds of BS I have both software and hardware... I am on a Gear buying hold until I get to the finish line of getting rid of all the stuff on the list and completing the back room finish construction. Selling the stuff on ebay / craigslist is a hassle but I have been surprised at what some of the gear fetched...THough I know I spent a lot more than I am now getting back...I'm turning dust collectors and shit just taking up space into cash.... Because I'm a crafty / handy kind of guy and have all the tools and skills I can make shit and had so much crap laying around that were projects for the future...what a cluster fuck... I knew a dude who suffers from the same whackiness and had him come over and see if he might be interested in any of it....man it was painful but he just started pointing at shit going I could use that, I'd like that....easily $1500 in amps with a channel out and leslie parts and cords...$400 sold take it all......a bit of sadness but also an amazing relief of freedom from...Damn I gotta get to that..

and I'll be running it with Win 7 well after 2020, as long as there is no hardware failure that pushes an upgrade.

That's the other factor, the computer is nearing 4 years old and it would be awesome if it lasted another 3, but unlikely. The USB 3.0 controller on the motherboard already bit the dust (I aded a PCIe USB 3 card and disabled the onboard). I'd consider getting a new motherboard, but there's not many new ones around for that age/chipset. I just hate throwing any money at an older machine, at some point upgrading just makes more sense to me.

When I put together my current DAW machine, I made a point of buying a second one to have for that rainy day.
I actually even bought a third "parts" machine, which I may sell on eBay, though older computers don't fetch much, and being a tower, the shipping kinda screws up the price.

I also keep on eye on the used computer market, and what's available that I can move too if needed. With my triple PCI card rig, there's a line where everyone just stopped offering 3 PCI slots, though I have found newer ones with 2 PCI plus 2-3 PCIe slots, and there are adapters that let you convert the PCIe back to PCI...so I know I'll be covered for awhile.

Right now my computer covers my software usage for my typical track counts, and I can get away with it because I still do the hybrid analog/digital thing, and I mix out of the DAW. If I ever went to all ITB, and higher track counts, then I would probably need more computer power (newer technology) to cover the software demand.

There's a limited sale by Magix for ProX 3 Suite...which normally sells for like $1400....but you can get it for only $149.
I'm not just pimping it because I use ProX...it's a pretty robust piece of software, not to mention the add-ons they are including fro free.
Might be a great way for the Sonar guys to get out from under the Cakewalk collapse... :thumbs up: ...or anyone looking for a pretty serious DAW app + extras.

Samplitude ProX 3 Suite + Extras - $149 for only a few days!

Thank you for pointing that special out! It's worth the price just for Sound Forge 11 alone! But since I want to make a jump to some DAW other than Sonar (since we Sonar users are being abandoned by Gibson) this is a great bargain.
Thanks!

So what's the go here? I bought Sonar Platinum with lifetime (now that's a laugh considering latest development - or lack of :spank::spank::spank:) updates.
Can I download a copy for basckup or are we screwed bigtime?

Cheers from downunder

Go to the sonar website and see what you can download -- Sonar users are screwed bigtime unless Gibson sells the Cakewalk product line to some other company. Like you I purchased the "lifetime" updates only to find that word doesn't mean what I thought it meant. 1.5 years is hardly what most people think of as "lifetime" even in the volatile software marketplace.

Check out Reaper -- for only $60 it appears to be very capable, powerful and very customizable so if you're used to working with Sonar you can apparently (I haven't tried it yet) make the layout very much like Sonar and can get the program to work like Sonar if you want. Check out the videos at the reaper web-site! Or if you want more in the package, check out the Magix Samplitude X3 Pro offer for $149.

Check out Reaper -- for only $60 it appears to be very capable, powerful and very customizable so if you're used to working with Sonar you can apparently (I haven't tried it yet) make the layout very much like Sonar and can get the program to work like Sonar if you want. Check out the videos at the reaper web-site! Or if you want more in the package, check out the Magix Samplitude X3 Pro offer for $149.

The guys at KVR suggested I try Reaper - free 2 month trial, highly customizable and even codeable, so I did. There's a learning curve but it's doable and I don't think Reaper is going away.

2 cents.

Back