Emu 1212m and Focusrite VMP problems

hottsauce_21

when i record, i usually record out a -10dbv, and since u can set the input at what u wanna record at, i set it at -10dbv too. AND i did this for a while, BUT just yesterday i bought a audio adapter so i can start recording at +4dbu since thats suppose to be professional. and i set the emu 1212m at +4dbu too. The quality does seem better. BUT the output fader on my voicemaster pro doesn't seem to move that much, Its suppose to be movin at most between the -4 and -2. right. I can turn the mic up, BUT then i get loud phases in the earphones. I record on cool edit pro and as u know u can monitor ur recordin levels on it to, the levels on cool edit pro seem fine, why is it the output fader on the voicemaster pro barely moves and the levels on cool edit, reach the point i need. IS it suppose to be like that????? somebody please help me.

Also my voice comes out clear on smooth beats, BUT when it comes to beats that are alittle loud or crunk, I have to turn the volume up on my acappellas on cool edit, IS that the right thing to do???? How can i turn the mic up on the preamp and record without Having loud PHASING, I mean no phasing at all.

sauce. when i was running pro 2 inch multitracks +4 standard was important.
actually we bised for +8 !! but that another story.
NOW - in the daw world +4 is not important. its just a standard.
it has nothing to do with the sound quality. the reason people like myself used +4 in the past was to have the recorded tracks level way ABOVE
tape noise floor. the emu is so damn low noise. your worrying
unnescerrarily imho. -10 is fine. the sound quality these days just depends on sound card CONVERTORS.

haha

Thanks, thats all i was lookin 4, Well still though, My voice doesn't stand out loud enough on krunk beats, How can i record clean vocals and still be able to hear my voice perfect?????

this is where the art of mixing comes in.
perceived loudness is a different issue.
what your after is sitting in the mix right.
try this ...either sing your vocals twice OR
duplicate the vocal track , and offset the duplicate by a few milliseconds.
EXPERIMENT between 5 to 10 milliseconds. put the fader of the dupe track under the original. you can also get simple effects on vox this way by experimenting with the offset and relative fader levels of dupe and original track. for example put fader of dupe under fader of original and fool around with an offset of 20 to 50 milliseconds range.
BUT WATCH YOUR LEVELS. you could also try a compressor on your vox. peace.

yea

i do that, BUT maybe im just not tryin hard enough to mix it, GOOD to know im not to far off. THANKS again. seems like u always answer my questions, weird. haha

try working with eq. my wifes out shopping. so have lots of time.
in essence - CUT eq areas that might interract with your vocals.
read up on how waveforms interract with each other sometime.
the idea is to "carve out" a space for each track in a mix.
this is why the top platinum record engineers blow away the rest of us.
well - actually many reasons. but this is one of them.
basically they know what to do where with each track better than the rest of us. one trick is to graphically display a track thats a backing track via a spectrogram for example then do the same for the vocals and see where frequencies overlap. it takes years to learn this stuff properly.peace.

ok

Yea i see what chu mean. Tell u the truth, my recording is comin out alot better then when i first started in may of this year, Guess u do need lots of exp. 4 great recording.

Back