Emu 1212m 24-bit/192khz problems

hottsauce_21

I just got a Emu 1212m 24-bit/192khz and i had a soundblaster audigy 2 platinum before that, and i gotta say, The SB audigy 2 platinum was louder, I try 2 increase the volume on the EMU but it seems to add more bass, is there a way for me to increase the volume someone. I haven't recorded wit it yet, PLEASE someone help me.

You increased the volume how? Output levels +4 dBu / -10 dBV? I don't know about the EMU software control panel (assuming there is one). This would be where you *should* be able to change these levels. The level settings are to adjust output from consumer to pro gear (something like that). Someone may better explain that than I can :D I see you already inquired about that in another thread.

The EMU has better convertors than the Audigy, that may contribute to a better sound and perhaps more enhanced low end.

ummmm

Well i turned the output from -10 to +4 and it helped a bit, BUT not as much as i wanted it. You say it should be louder then the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 platinum, I really hope soo. I use the Patchmix DSP to mess with the volume and stuff, And the volume is up in the bottom right hand corner, i already checked that. From what people told me it was loud and clear. So far it doesn't sound like it. it seems it will only play at 44k/48k and not 96k or 192k when i try to set it. I need more help

hottsauce_21 said:
Well i turned the output from -10 to +4 and it helped a bit, BUT not as much as i wanted it. You say it should be louder then the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 platinum, I really hope soo. I use the Patchmix DSP to mess with the volume and stuff, And the volume is up in the bottom right hand corner, i already checked that. From what people told me it was loud and clear. So far it doesn't sound like it. it seems it will only play at 44k/48k and not 96k or 192k when i try to set it. I need more help

I didn't quite say it would be louder than the SB, I don't know for sure what can be controlled via either card. Enhanced sound and low-end I did say. According to EMU, they are using Protools grade converters and I've seen a couple good reviews on the quality of the sound - not necessarily the output level. Either way you slice it, you have a better product in the EMU than the SB Audigy. Hope they can back it up with good driver support.

Why are you concerned about 96/192k? Don't see myself ever using that high of a rate. I typically record at 44k and really haven't seen a benefit from higher rates. I've been up to 48k, and it just takes more space. I'm sticking with 24/44 myself.

umm

well, ok. I guess i can handle te exchange, Well, now i wanna record, Now i don't know how. It didn't come wi a mic setting r anythng, so what do i do???

What are you using as far as recording software? What are you trying to record. By the photos of it, it looks to have 2 1/4" balanced inputs on the front. You can also plug in mics into either of the two front inputs (XLR). If you have a condenser mic, it looks to have phantom power. Looks like 6 more inputs in the back of the box.

Looks like it's time for you to play around a bit with it. It's got plenty of inputs. Can't really help too much more as I don't know how PatchMix works, etc.

oh my GOD!

This soundcard is really makin me mad, I haven't had it that long and already im gonna send it back, My Soundblaster audigy Seemed better then this for real, I hate this card, The volume ain't to loud, I got the mic workin but i don't know how to record and when the mic is workin its soundin really distorted. I use cool edit to record, BUT like i said, i can't set mic input or nothin, When i go to recordin settings, it just says WAVE, it doesn't say line in or anything. And i can't even record ANYTHING. Someone please help me!!!

The 1212M is not made for recording from microphones because it doesn't have a mic preamp on it.

-10 and +4 is not for boosting volume, it's for matching levels between gear.

When recording, you designate sources by inserting a send into the channel on your Patchmix session.

If you want to do 96/192, you have to load in 96 and 192 Patchmix sessions.

Have you tried the forums on www.productionforums.com/emu ?

Have you tried reading the manual?

i will

Not really, Doesn't seem to help me, I have a rode Nt1a mic and a Voicemaster pro preamp. the mic to the preamp, -10dbv output runnin to the Emu 1212m input. Is there ANYWAY i can make this work, SOMEone please help me. people said i can record CLEAN vocals wit this record, SO there has to be a way i can get this card to work right

Ya know, I was looking at the wrong EMU - sorry about that. The 1820 has the breakout box....aarrrg :(

The E-mu cards are almost totally unsuitable for CEP. No matter how many channels the version you got has, you won't be able to pick more than 2 mono/ 1 stereo wave channels and you have to select which are connected in the patchmix.

To get the most out of these cards, you need an ASIO application like Cubase, Sonar etc. Only then are all the channels available.

As to levels, the card is designed to work with pro level equipment. It offers no gain on the output or line inputs, and it needs a balanced connection to get the max level there is in the first place.

umm, how can i explain this to you

first of all, for your hearing pleasure, you can adjust the monitor output under the volume control in your accessories/entertainment folder on the start menu...
as far as recording levels, well you should adjust the ouput on your mic pre...
i have no problems recording, the only problem i have with recording is recording wave out

hotsauce21,
I bought the 1212m less than a month ago, and found myself wishing I hadn't bought it at all. It seemed way over my head(patchmix,ect). I tried over and over on my own, and got less than desirable results. I did something I've never had to do before; I called tech support. I mean I was so frustrated with the patchmix routing ect. It is a toll call(about 7 cents a minute). These guys are A+ at Emu tech support. You got Cubase 4.0 with your software package. Do yourself a favor and call them. It may cost you 3 or 4 bucks for the call; but they will paint you a picture that will open up your understanding of the patchmix to cubase(or whatever software you are using) relationship, and you will be well on your way. Now I am in no way related to Emu other than a product user, so you can make your own choice, but I can now get the best recording tracks I've ever done with the 1212m. I wish I had called them sooner; I would have been recording good tracks long ago. The analogy I will use is this; someone can show you a song on guitar, and you'll learn it alot sooner, and better that if you have to work it all out yourself. You'll be surprised at how excited these dudes are about helping you get the most from your card. I am fairly new to computer recording with a pro card, but this thing has some great features now that I can use it.The ball is in your court now. Good luck.
John Sr.

Back