emu 0404 vs audiophile 2496?

EMU 0404 or the Audiophile 2496 which one would you choose?

• EMU 0404

Votes: 56 47.1%
  • the Audiophile 2496

Votes: 63 52.9%

• Total voters
I Tried the E-MU 0404 First But I had some Driver Problems and Had problems Figureing out the Patch Bay settings and I did Notice a Little Bit of Backround Noise at Times Like when I was Running Recording Software at the Same Time as other Software...

I eventually Got too Frustrated with the EMU-0404 and Returned it and Put a few Bucks on top of it and Got the M-Audio Delta 44 and So far haven"t looked Back and Have had None of the Problems that I had with the EMU Card and with No Backround Noise but I wish the Delta Had some DSP effects But There are Software effects I can use with the Delta 44.....

So Far My Delta 44 is Awesome....

Cheers

I have used both.

I bought the EMU 0404 first, because of the specs and installed it on my XP system back in 2004. It locked the machine up and caused the fatal blue screen. I brought it back and bought the Audiophile 2496 which worked perfect upon install.

Yesterday, I downloaded the latest update drivers for the 2496, but have not yet installed them. Plan to do so this week. I hope to give you a report on how that goes, afterwards.

I have had the 0404 for about a year. Found it for $55 from ebay, the person hated the PatchMix software.

Bottom line, I have had no problems with it after figuring out the software. This is on a K7 MB with a Athlon XP 1800, 1gig mixed 256 & 512 memory, running XP Pro with SP2 with all the winblows sound off, and all tweaks ala MusicXP.net.

There is new drivers coming out sometime soon, so maybe that will help those having problems?

Um, the driver problems mentioned in this thread were back in 2004 when this thread was created :rolleyes: and they were only an issue with certain chipsets at that time.
I've been using the E-MU drivers for 3+ years without a problem. (E-MU 1820m) PatchMix is absolutely BRILLIANT btw, in case anyone is looking for opinions on it.

I have used a PCI 0404 for so long i can't remember exactly how long it's been. But, I think it's been maybe 5, or 6 years. Every problem i have had, has been because I have been using a 64bit OS. When I was running 32bit Xp I never had one single problem. After Vista came out and 64bit OS's were more common they ironed out the kinks, and ever since 2.1 driver release it has been rock solid.

Way back when I had all sorts of problems, because of beta drivers, driver workarounds, and ect. The only thing that sucks is that the DSP effects are not use able as VST's with the 64bit drivers. Also the 64bit version doesn't allow ASIO driver sharing, so only one application can use my EMU at a time. I recommend the PCI card to any one. As far as the USB version goes..... I couldn't tell you any thing. But, what I do know from years of tech support is that USB devices like to have problems for no explainable reason.

Best $120 I ever spent on a single piece of computer hardware. It's be recycled from computer to computer since i bought it. Also next to my guitar it's the oldest piece of my rig (bought the guitar in '98-'99).

The only reasons I would buy an new card would be if, A) PCI became obsolete and I was upgrading, B) It blew up, or C) I need more simultaneous inputs.

Back