emu 0404 usb main outs - Separate channels?

jamesl8

When I get my mixer, I'd like to bring 10 channels out of my motu 828mkII to 10 input channels on my mixer. In an attempt to squeeze 2 more channels out of my motu without buying new equipment, I'd like to go s/pdif out of the motu into my emu 0404 usb an then go main out L to channel 11 on the mixer and main out R to channel 12 on the mixer.

Can the emu treat L & R main outs as different channels, or will I hear both channels in each?

Last edited:
If you are hardware monitoring you have a button that selects mono or stereo monitoring. I think, since most other interfaces are set up this way, as long as you select stereo you will hear each input in its own channel.

You are correct. The more I thought about, I realized i could hook it up and test it.

I removed the main outs from my motu and connected them to my emu. I went s/pdif out from the motu to the emu. I opened a cubase project and created two new connections: s/pdif out 1 and s/pdif out 2. i selected a rhythm guitar track and a bass track. I set guitar to s/pdif out 1 and bass to s/pdif out 2. When I soloed these two tracks, the guitar was only in the left monitor and the bass was only in the right.

Sweet! Since I bought the motu, the emu has been stored away collecting dust. now I can use the emu to pick up two more precious channels for my otb mixes.

Back